Homestead


February 1, 2015

Brewery Locations


Homestead Ale Brewery (1876 – 1893)
Homestead Brewing Company
(1893 – 1904)
Homestead Brewery – Independent Brewing
(1904 – 1920)
Homestead Brewery – Homestead Ice Company
(1937 – 1953)
610 Hays Street
Homestead Ice Co.
610 Hays Street
The brewery was located on West 7
th Avenue between Hays and West Streets. This was the address of the brewery in Homestead but memorabilia from the brewery gives West Homestead as well. The western side of Hays was the boundary line. Both are correct. Hays Street was the boundary between Homestead and West Homestead at one time. The brewery operated until prohibition when a separate corporation took it over: The Homestead Ice Company. That building was west of Hays putting it in West Homestead. As they were the parent company during and after prohibition the brewery (a division of the Ice Company) advertized both communities. The brewery was under the auspices of the Independent Brewing Company of Pittsburgh from 1904 until 1920.

1918: Superintendant, J M Wolf; Foreman of the bottling department, F Mosen; Brewmaster, John Kilger

A purchase order dated February 24, 1944 shows the Homestead Ice Company, Brewery Division. The shipping address was to Zahm & Nagel Company, 74 Jewett Street, Buffalo, NY. The same company returned a purchase order to the brewery dated September 29, 1950.

Owner was Charles Adolph Shultz, supposedly at the start of the brewery in 1876. Another document had him being only a manager for a short time. His father, Carl worked in a brewery in Birmingham (South Side) and then in Mifflin Township. He was postmaster on Hay Park, Pa, as of 1902.

Charles Schmitt was the manager of the Homestead Brewing Company.
He was born in Mifflin Township (Allegheny Co.) on January 15, 1859. He was one of the organizers of the brewery in 1899. President Grover Cleveland appointed him postmaster of Homestead to two four-year terms; first in 1885 and again in 1892.

In writing about the Homestead Steel Strike of 1892, Stowell tells how the brewery had to close as demand for alcohol outpaced supply.
“Fort Frick” or the Siege of Homestead: A history of the famous struggle between The Amalgamated Association of Iron & Steel Workers and the Carnegie Steel Co. of Pittsburgh by Myron R. Stowell. Pittsburgh Printing Company, Pittsburgh, 1893.

Most information on Schmitt & Shultz came from
Memoirs of Allegheny County, 1904.

Walnut Brewery
East Bridge Street
Opened: April 1, 2002
The Walnut Brewery is the brewing arm of the Pittsburgh area Rock Bottom Brewery restaurant. As typical with brewery-restaurants, each are set-up as separate corporations.

List of Rock Bottom brewers (not totally complete)
The first brewer was Matthew Carroll until 2007
Dan Kulick was under Matthew
Colin Peterman, from the Rock Bottom in Arlington, Va. replaced Matthew.
Steve Panos, left in 2012 to Pelican Pub and Brewery, Oregon
Steve Ilnicki (as of 2012) was under Brandon
Brandon McCarthy (prior to 2012)
Brandon came from Church Brew Works and started under Steve
Ryan Miller
James Evans

In 2010 Rock Bottom was taken over by
CraftWorks Restaurants & Breweries. Their portfolio includes Gordon Biersch and Old Chicago Restaurants.

Non-Brewing Locations


Voodoo Brewing
Amity Street at E 9th Avenue
Owner: Matt Allyn
Not in the Regional Count. Placed here for reference only.
An announcement was made on Thursday, July 10, 2014 that the Meadville, Crawford County brewery bought the former municipal building on Amity Street from the borough of Homestead. Voodoo will operate a restaurant as well as a brewery although Allyn says the brewing aspect is not in his immediate plans. Although the building sold for $8,500 there is a lot of renovation work so opening to the public may not take place until 2015.

Voodoo’s first day of being open to the public was Saturday, January 31, 2015 at noon. All the beer came from the Meadville brewery.