Brackenridge
(Tarentum until after 1901)

Founded in 1829 by Henry Brackenridge, Tarentum Borough was created by the court from a part of East Deer Township on March 7, 1842. Brackenridge succeeded on September 21, 1901 by court order.

August 22, 2015

Brewery Locations


Anchor Brewing (1897 – 1940)
(AKA Tarentum Brewing Co.)
(AKA Brackenridge Brewing)
North Canal St w/ some publications giving South Canal St
Formed in 1896 and continued to at least 1936. They were known to brew Ale, Porter, Lager and Beer. The Tarentum-Kiski Valley Historical Society places the operating dates from 1897 to 1920 with re-opening in 1933 until short of 1943.

In 1918 the bottling department superintendant was G. A. Ober and the superintendant and brewmaster was Gustave W. Hauch. A bottling house was constructed on North Canal Street and was opened in April 1914.

It was advertized in
The American Jewish Outlook of July 17, 1936 that:
Gustave H. Hatch, formerly brewer of the Old Anchor Beer, has returned as brewmaster of the Brackenridge Brewing Company after an absence of 17 years. This would indicate that Hauch left the brewery in 1919.

This was in a notice in the
Pittsburgh Post Press on January 16, 1937.
Tarentum was a dry town but residences on Brackenridge Avenue wanted to be wet so they sought court permission to succeed. By court order Brackenridge was incorporated on September 21, 1901. Sanborn maps (1914) show Brackenridge Boro.

Brewery Demolition:
Schaaf Excavating of Pittsburgh demolished the building in early 2015. The building was condemned in 2014.

Anchor Brewing, Avenue, Pa:
Beer bottles from the1800’s show the Anchor to be from Avenue, Pa. Documents with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania show this as well. The Avenue Bottling Works is shown on Sanborn map, sheet 9: (1914) and sheet 15: (1909), located at Mill Lock Lane (AKA Able Street) and Salisbury Alley.

Brackenridge Typhoid Fever Outbreak:
From January 1905 to August 1, 1907, there were 175 cases of typhoid fever in Brackenridge. A pipe brought water from a private spring on a nearby hill. It was to be for drinking in a glass factory and the brewery but no doubt used for brewing as well.

Sanborn Maps
Penn State: http://www.libraries.psu.edu/psul/digital/sanborn.html


Anchor Brewing & Allegheny Valley Ice Company
Location was between North Canal Street and Humes and between Grant, Anchor Alley and Stamm Alley.
Sanborn map sheet 21: (1909).

The Allegheny Valley Ice Company
Location was between North Canal Street and Humes and between Grant, Anchor Alley and Stamm Alley.
Sanborn map sheet 15: (1914).