Eberhardt & Ober Brewery History


This Document First Published: October 29, 2017, Revised January 2019

This document is in four (4) parts.

The
Ober (Amber) Brewery, along Vinial Street

The
Eberhardt Brewery, along Troy Hill Road

The
Eberhardt & Ober (Eagle) Brewery, along Troy Hill Road.

The
Combined F. L. Ober and Eberhardt & Ober Breweries

This document explores the breweries in a time-lime fashion.

The Penn Brewery sits on land that was predominately owned by the Ober Family. The current yard, corner office and parking lot is where Eberhardt started his brewery.

Part 1: Start of The Ober (Amber) Brewery Timeline


1857 Leonhart Schlaffner & Weiser
AKA Leonard Shaffner Brewery
AKA Shaffner & Veissert Amber Brewery
12 – 18 Vinial St
Established in 1857 by Schlaffner & Weiser.
Noted in the
Industries of Pittsburgh, published by the Pittsburgh Chamber of Commerce for 1879 & 1880.

The 1858 Pittsburgh Directory noted Lenhardt Kern, brewer living at the corner of East Lane and Second Street in Allegheny. Conrad Leonhart was a cooper at this time. Christ King of Spring Garden was a brewer.

1858 Koenig & Weiser Amber Brewery
12 – 18 Vinial St
Established in 1858 as noted in the
Industries of Pittsburgh, published by the Pittsburgh Chamber of Commerce for 1879 & 1880. One Hundred Years of Brewing has Leonhart Schlaffner & Weiser as the founders but has 1858.

1860 Koenig & Ober Brewery
12 – 18 Vinial St
George Ober was with Koenig & Weiser in 1860 (at age 37) and took full control in 1864, according to Dick Ober in a
City Paper story.
Ober & Koenig took control in 1860 and in 1863 George Ober became sole proprietor but the 1865 directory has (Andrew) King & (George) Ober Brewery. The following year Charles F. Ober became associated with his brother, under the firm’s name and style as at present, as noted in the
Industries of Pittsburgh, published by the Pittsburgh Chamber of Commerce for 1879 & 1880.
Note: A John Koenig came to Allegheny in 1846 and Jacob Koenig in 1878.

George Ober was born in 1823 and came to America in 1840 when he was 17. He married Mary Vogel and they had 15 children. In 1858 he was living on Main Street and East Lane in this year. He was a grocer before becoming a brewer. He retired from brewing in 1878 and the brewery became the F. L. Ober Brewery operated by George’s sons Frank and Charles.

Charles Ober had a daughter, Amelia who married Joseph Rooney of the North Side. Joseph and Amelia had four sons and four daughters. One of the sons was named Ober Rooney. Joseph came to the North Side in 1886 and lived at 1416 Boyd Street when he died in 1948. He was from Newry, County Down, Ireland

1860 Gottlieb Siedle Restaurant
The 1860 Pittsburgh Directory lists Gottlieb Siedle (see 1878 G Siedle, below) as having a restaurant at 218 Liberty Street in Allegheny City. The 1864 directory has Getand Edward Benz having a beer saloon at Liberty and Sixth in Pittsburgh. In 1858, Herman Seidel, brewer was living at 16 Diamond Street, now Forbes Ave.

1861 Steidle & Co. Brewery
This brewery was noted in the 1861 directory being at Green Street, north of Chestnut in Allegheny. This could have been the same location as the Hoffman Brewery of the 1870’s.

1863 George Ober Brewery
16 Vinial St
George was sole proprietor from 1863 until his retirement in 1878.

1870 John P. Ober
George Ober’s son, John P., was born on August 21, 1848. He quit school at the age of 14 and started working in the (Ober) brewery. Try that today? At the age of 22 in 1870 he left for the Eberhardt Brewery down the corner.

1875 G. Siedle Brewery
10 Vinial St
The 1872 Hopkins Atlas (Plate 92) has the Eberhardt & Ober Brewery at the corner of Troy Hill Road and Vinial Street. Siedle was adjacent to them and George Ober was adjacent to Seidle. SeIdle also owned the land across the street where the current bottling house stands. Ober also had three lots, 12, 14, and 16 next to Siedle. Gottlieb Siedle had died (from at least 1876) as the directory listed his widow, Mary who was living at 10 Vinial Street. The 1875 directory had him as a brewer at Vinial and Butcher’s Run, which would have been the bottling house side of Vinial.
Gottlieb Siedle was a brewer, identified in
Old Bayardstown (page 177) as president of the National Trust Company. He was president of Enterprise Insurance in 1874.

Note: Benz & Siedle Duquesne Brewery, Butler Plank Road in Duquesne. The 1872 Hopkins Atlas (Plate 92) shows Siedle property at a location that would support this. Interesting Note: John Benz was president of the Duquesne Brewing Company of the South Side. This was shown in the 1860 Pittsburgh Directory.

Review Stop


George Ober, by himself or with others operated a brewery at 12, 14 and 16 Vinial Street from at least 1860. Gottlieb Siedle operated a brewery at 10 Vinial Street from before 1872 and owned the lot across the street. George Ober acquired Siedle’s property after Siedle’s death but not until after 1877. Joseph Siedle was living at No. 10 in 1877-80 and was a horse shoer. The first time the name Ober was tied to No. 10 was in 1880 when Joseph A. Ober lived there. He was a brewer at first but by 1882 he was listed as a driver. Edward Ober, plumber, was living at 10 in 1884. The Pittsburgh Directories never associated No. 10 Vinial with the brewery despite the Obers owning the land and that there was a brewery on it.

Conrad Eberhardt retires in 1870 and his son William takes over the brewery. He along with partner John Peter Ober rename the brewery the Eberhardt & Ober Brewery. A tavern was operated here as well for a short time. Conrad lived at 39 Hazel Street in Troy Hill when he retired.

End of Review Stop


1878 F. L. Ober & Brother Brewery
When George Ober retired in 1878 the brewery went to his sons, Frank L. and Charles F. Ober. They renamed the brewery F. L. Ober & Brother Brewery. This name stayed unchanged even after the merger with the Pittsburgh Brewing Company.

1878 Amber Brewery
F. L. Ober & Brothers
12, I4 &16 Vinial St
Preceded by Ober & Koenig since 1860.
Noted in the
Industries of Pittsburgh, published by the Pittsburgh Chamber of Commerce for 1879 & 1880. I do not have a clear indication when the Amber Brewery was designated. In the book, Pittsburgh's Progress, Industries and Resources, published in 1886, George H. Thurston listed the breweries at the time and identified the Amber Brewery on the North Side and National Brewery on the South Side. He gave no date that the National was established (1852) but does credit John Nusser but he points out that Nusser (shown as -Nusser) established the Amber in 1858. I can’t say Thurston is wrong but I can’t find other documents to confirm his assertion.

The 1901 Hopkins atlas shows Mary Ober as the property owner of the lot belonging to George Ober. F. L. Ober owned the adjacent lot, towards Spring Garden. They did not own it in 1890. The Ober Brothers Brewery was between Mary Ober’s lot and Troy Hill Road. The Penn Brewery loading dock and grain silos are currently on this lot.

The F. L. Ober property may have been miss-identified as a brewery in an old document and repeated by modern day websites. It was to have been known and formed by Frank & Charles Ober, George’s sons, supposedly after E & O was formed.

1890 Mary Ober
Mary Ober, wife of George, was the property owner in 1890 of George’s original lot at 16 Vinial Street (not today’s number). Hopkins 1890 Atlas: Plate 8. However, the Ober Brothers owned the lots between Mary and Eberhardt & Ober.

1890 F L Ober Property
The Hopkins Atlas of 1890 and 1901 shows lots on Vinial across from the Ober brewery belonging to F L Ober Brothers. This indicates that the bottling house was not constructed until later. But, 1907, March: the Select Council of Pittsburgh passed ordinance 638 granting the Eberhardt & Ober branch of Pittsburgh Brewing Company to place a thirty-six inch conduit under Vinial Street connecting the brewery to the racking room of the bottling house.

1893 Aaron & Co. Malt House, Louis Israel
Vinial Street (behind the F. L. Ober Brewery)
Louis Israel Aaron (1840 – 1920) was behind the brewery as shown on the Sanborn Fire Insurance map of 1893, page 95. Hopkins, 1890, above, does not show the presence of the malt house.

1895 Albert Ober
The Pittsburgh Directory identified Albert as a brewer living on Vinial Street.

1896 – 1897 Brew House and Stock House
The 1896 – 1897 American Brewers Review mentioned that the Frank L. Ober Brewing Company was had these structures under construction in connection with the existing buildings. The Pittsburgh Daily Post reported on February 16, 1897 that the Ober & Brother Brewing Company took out a permit for a four story stock house on Vinial Street. Cost $14,000.

1897 The English Syndicate
Investor groups from England were attempting to buy breweries in America to broaden their portfolios. They formed companies in America and solicited agents here to make the acquisitions. The Ober Brewery was one of the many Allegheny County breweries that were involved in this highly secretive endeavor.

1897 Pennsylvania Brewing Company
https://www.loc.gov/resource/sn83030180/1897-07-28/ed-1/?sp=4&st=text
English Syndicate see
J. P Persch, of Philadelphia.

The
Harrisburg Telegraph on July 8, 1897 reported “Ten of the largest breweries in Allegheny consolidated yesterday under the name Pennsylvania Brewing Company”. The breweries were not identified. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has the charted date as June 24, 1897.
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/44272366/

1898 November 27 Dissolution of F. L. Ober & Brother Brewing Company Ltd
A court order was issued on November 26, 1899 dissolving the F. L. Ober & Brother Brewing Company Ltd. This was reported in the Pittsburgh Daily Post on the 27th. It was reported that the brewery might become affiliated with the American Brewing Company, a new corporation. A. B. Ober said that to the best of his knowledge there was no intention to affiliate with any other company. F. L. Ober & Brother Brewing Company Ltd went out of business in 1896 but the new firm of Ober Brothers became active. It was incorporated on January 1, 1897.

1899 Pittsburgh Brewing Company
The brewery was sold to the Pittsburgh Brewing Company in 1899. After that sale, Frank retired from the business but Charles became a superintendant with PBC.

The Obers sold the Amber Brewery to the Pittsburgh Brewing Company in the 1899 merger. Frank got out of the business but Charles became a superintendent with PBC. The Ober brewery and property meshed in with the Eberhardt & Ober Brewing Company.

Ober Family


George & May (Vogel) Ober had three sons:
John P Ober who went to Eberhardt
Charles F Ober: became a superintendent with Pittsburgh Brewing
Charles married Mary Amella Sauer of Allegheny
Frank L Ober: retire after the sale to Pittsburgh Brewing

John P. Ober
Born in Allegheny City on August 21,1848, Died in Pittsburgh on November 11, 1909.
Work with his father starting at the age of 15 in 1863 but left to join William Eberhardt in 1870.

Google search for Ober Pittsburgh 1921
Death of George H Ober
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/85825085/
From Alsace-Lorraine. Arrived Allegheny 1871. Died 78
Lived at 1121 Goettman Street
Sons: George Jr., Anthony, Joseph, Albert.
Brother: Anthony

Joseph C. Ober, brother of George H., policeman
1122 Goettman Street
Born in Allegheny, died 38

George was born in 1823 and came to America at 17 (1840)
He partnered with Koenig (also known to be King)
George retired in 1878 and at that time, Frank and Charles F took over the brewery, renaming it the F. L. Ober & Brother Brewery

George Ober’s father, Peter, lived and died in France.

End of The Ober (Amber) Brewery Timeline


Part 2: Start of The Eberhardt Brewery Timeline
1848 – 1870


1848: Conrad Eberhardt arrived in Allegheny City with his son William. They came from Alasce, France but Conrad was a brewer in Wurtemberg, Germany. It is often incorrectly stated that Conrad began brewing in 1848 but that did not occur until 1850. His first venture was operating a tavern on Ohio Street. He was also a grocer.

First Brewery Established
This brewery originally established in 1848 at the time faced Troy Hill Road and would eventually include the property that is now the parking garage. The rear of the brewery would include the land having the stone courtyard, stonewall, and the larger caves. The Eberhardt brewery would not have ownership of the building now having the restaurant and brewery. Some publications have made inferences that Eberhardt’s first brewery may have been at another location until 1850 or 1852.

1850: Conrad Eberhardt built a brewery on Vinial Street. He was living at this time on what was known as the Butler Plank Road.

The Corner Lot
What is not mentioned in stories on Conrad is how he acquired such a prime spot of the corner on a lot large lot. Although the lot was large it was hilly.

1852 Date Established
The office building at the corner of Vinial and Troy Hill Road has this date and the inscription Eberhardt & Ober Brewery cut into the stone over the front entrance. This date was also included in early advertisements. Edward M. Butz designed the present day corner office building in 1897.

1856 Pittsburgh Directory listed John Eberhart (not as Eberhardt) as a brewer living on the north side of Plank Road. The Haid Brewery was listed as being on Plank Road. This directory did not recognize any other Eberhardt as a brewer. But it did mention Conrad Eaton, beer brewery on Troy Hill Road.

1856 Conrad Eberhardt
Thurston, in Facts and Figures, has Conrad having a brewery at Ohio Street and Chestnut Street about 1856. I have not see this referenced by others and wonder if Thurston misidentified the location or date. Lisa Miles Violin, who wrote Resurrecting Allegheny City states that “It would be on. Vinial Street…”. She may not have known about the Chestnut Street Location at the time of her writing.

End of The Eberhardt Brewery Timeline


Part 3: Start of The Eberhardt & Ober Brewery
(The F. L. Ober (Amber) Brewery is not a part of this section)
1870 – 1899

1870 William Eberhardt Brewing Company
1870: Brother-in-laws William Eberhardt and John Peter Ober purchase the Conrad Eberhardt Brewery after Conrad retires. The company is named the Eberhardt & Ober Brewing Company. It is not associated with the Ober Brewery on the adjacent lot along Vinial Street.

According to George Thornton Fleming in
History of Pittsburgh and Environs, 1922, the brewery was formed in 1870 and incorporated in 1883. John Ober married William’s sister on Salome (Biesse) Eberhardt on September 1, 1872. Others note that the brewery formed by William and Conrad’s son-in-law as though John was a member of the family at the time. This was not true, technically, as the marriage took place a year after.

Hopkins Maps
The 1872 map of the Seventh Ward of Allegheny shows the George Ober Brewery and the George Siedle brewery along Vinial Street and the Eberhardt & Ober Brewery along Troy Hill Road. Siedle also owned the land on Vinial opposite the brewery. The 1882 maps show the same other than Ober now owned Siedle’s lots.

The 1890 maps show the Eberhardt & Ober Brewery as well as the Ober Brewery. The lots owned by Ober were indicated Ober Brothers et. al. The buildings shown did not look the way it does not look the way it does today. The maps also show that the two families operated the brewery as one entity.

Architectural and Engineering Plans
Architect Joseph Stillberg was hired to design the buildings at Vinial and Troy Hill Road. A collector obtained the original ink on linen building drawings. He sent them to Tom Pastorius when he found out the Tom was renovating the building. This was about 1986 or 1987. They have since gone missing.
See the 1961 entry and also 1927 Sanborn Map.

1891 – 1911: Pittsburg was spelled without the h during this time.

1883 Formation of the Eberhardt & Ober Brewery
The Eberhardt & Ober Brewery is formed (January 1) with the acquisition of the John N. Straub Brewery that was located on South Canal Street, also in Allegheny.
John N. Straub was 73.

1883: Eberhardt &Ober purchased the John N. Straub Brewery of the North Side. This purchase forms the Eberhardt & Ober Brewing Company. After the sale the Canal Street brewery was converted to the malt house for the E & O Brewery.

The officers of the Eberhardt & Ober Brewing Co. were:
William Eberhardt, President
John N. Straub, Vice President (John died in 1891)
John Peter Ober, Treasurer
John G. Walther, Secretary (he is unknown to me)
Theodore F. Straub, Superintendent
None of the Ober family connected with the George Ober Brewery were listed as officer leaving the impression that the two breweries were separate at this time.

Peter Straub Notation
Peter was to have worked for E&O under John N. Straub, but E&O did not absorb John’s brewery until 1883. Peter had his own brewery in St. Marys by the 1870’s. Peter was in Allegheny (twice) and most likely worked for John N. Straub at the Straub Brewery on South Canal Street in Allegheny City, which was established until the 1840’s. The Mt. Zion Historical Society got it right.

1883 Brewery Collapse and Fire
Date unknown but assumed to be the E & O Brewery
Michael Brunk, the great-great-grandson of Gottlieb Siedle sent this information (August 2015): …
if you go in the lower level below the restaurant of the Penn Brewery, and look at the stonewalls of the lower foundation, you can still see the black lines marking where the fire burned out after it collapsed the brewery above.

In 1883, architect Joseph Stillburg designed what is today the brewery and restaurant. It included the appendage (partially demolished) along the side yard and a building (now a part of the parking garage) facing Troy Hill Road. The restaurant/bar room was used for keg washing and racking.

1883 Vinial Street Change in Grade
The Select and Common Councils of the City of Allegheny passed an ordinance (Enacted on December 28, 1883) that established an ordained grade for Vinial Street and William Street. The project was 744 feet along Vinial Street from Troy Hill Road to Villa Street. The work was said to have been completed on November 1, 1883 based on a court case where Allegheny City sought payment for the assessment due from a homeowner. The date was noted in records to have been alleged, which seems so as the work cannot be completed before it was authorized. A Board of Viewers Report was submitted to council on October 16, 1883, which would give a complete date in 1884.

I always found it interesting that the main building, built in 1897, had windows below the sidewalk along Vinial Street. The building was rebuilt in 1883 but a year later the road was raised to its present grade. This would suggest that is why the window wells were built. The present corner office and the building next to the present beer hall were built after 1883. It could be that the elevated walkway at the front of the brewery was originally used as a loading dock. The room that we know as the Penn Brewery Restaurant was used for racking and washing kegs in to the 1930’s.

1891 Electrical Lighting
The Eberhardt & Ober Brewery became the fourth brewery in Pittsburgh to install a plant and 200 incandescent lamps. The contract for the installation went to the Edison Company, Pittsburgh office.

1893 Brewery Fire
A fire took place at (a property of) the Eberhardt & Ober Company. This is mistaken to be the brewery on Vinial Street but in actuality it was the Straub Brewery on Canal Street. After Straub sold to E & O the building was converted to a grain elevator.

1897 The English Syndicate
XXXXX

1899 William Eberhardt dies
William Eberhardt died soon after the merger on March 25, 1899.
Past postings had Conrad, which I acknowledged to be incorrect.

The above was wrong on my part and corrected.
Bob Mills, a descendent of the family. The University of Pittsburgh Library supports this.
“Conrad Eberhardt died after the merger on March 25, 1899” – actually it was William that died on this date. Conrad died ~9/21/1875 aboard ship from Europe. He had a secret 2nd family in, I think, Alsace. We believe he was robbed & murdered, then buried at sea. I have not found any contemporaneous articles about his death, but have found later articles about the court case brought by the “wife” in Alsace.
“...and Conrad not retiring until 1883” -- this was obviously William since Conrad was dead.

End of The Eberhardt & Ober Brewery


Part 4: The Combined Breweries
Pittsburgh Brewing Company Ownership is Included
1899 – 1987


Prior to the merger with Pittsburgh Brewing, the Ober Brewery had a very close working relationship with Eberhardt & Ober. Both breweries were side by side and connected by marriage. The
Brewer’s Journal reported in 1921 on the pending sale of many of the breweries in Pittsburgh’s portfolio. The Eberhardt & Ober Brewer was for sale but the Ober Brothers Brewery was also listed confirming that the two breweries were always separate.

William Eberhardt and Peter Ober formed a brewery that was essentially a continuation of the brewery owned by William’s father, Conrand. This brewery was along Troy Hill Road. The brewery along Vinial Street was the F. L. Ober brewery, started by Peter’s father, George. William and Peter incorporated as the Eberhardt & Ober Brewery having also purchased the John Straub Brewery on South Canal Street.

Eberhardt & Ober (Eagle) Brewery after 1899


1899 Pittsburgh Brewing Company
The Eberhardt & Ober Brewing Company AND the F. L. Ober Brewery merged with the Pittsburgh Brewing Company.
The Pittsburgh Brewing Company syndicate was formed on January 1, 1899. The breweries themselves were merged into the syndicate on February 1899.

John P. Ober became treasurer of the Pittsburgh Brewing Company and held many other offices in Pittsburgh until his death on November 11, 1909. Charles F. Ober became superintendant of the Eberhardt & Ober Brewery.

1899: The Eagle Brewery of the Eberhardt & Ober Brewing Co. is merged into the Pittsburgh Brewing Company combine. Theodore Straub became the manager of the Eberhardt & Ober brewery and Charles F. Ober became manager of the Ober brewery.

1899 March 25: William Eberhardt dies at the age of 57. All of the owners of the breweries became managers of one of the other breweries in the company but William was not assigned one after the merger only a few weeks prior due to his ill health.

1907: The Guthrie-Watson Greater Pittsburgh Bill was passed by the State on February 24, 1903 to allow the city to annex territory surrounding the city. The courts upheld this act on November 18, 1907. On December 7, 1907 the City of Allegheny was annexed. Prior to this date the brewery sat on land in Allegheny City’s Seventh Ward. Today it is on Pittsburgh’s 24
th Ward.

1907, March: The Select Council of Pittsburgh passed ordinance 638 granting the Eberhardt & Ober branch of Pittsburgh Brewing Company to place a thirty-six inch conduit under Vinial Street connecting the brewery to the racking room of the bottling house.

1916: The American Contractor announced that the Pittsburgh Brewing Company was taking bids for a new stock house. Julius Schultz was the architect from 1370 Main Street, Buffalo, NY. He was at this same time designing a 3-story (84 feet by 66 feet) bottling house for the Ft. Pitt Brewing Company.

1917:
The Brewers’ Journal announced that Pittsburgh Brewing was building a new stock house at the Eberhardt & Ober Brewery but made no mention of a fire destroying the old building.

1917:
The Brewers Journal reported in January that Pittsburgh Brewing received a building permit to build a three-story brick and steel stock house at its branch on Vinial Street. The cost for the project was $33,000.

1917 August 22: The
Pittsburgh Press reported that Samuel Herman was 63 when he was killed trying to stop a runaway team of horses on Vinial Street. The horses were standing in front of the Eberhardt & Ober Brewery when they were frightened. He tried to grab the reins. The horses made a shape turn into the Joseph Boles Transfer Company’s stable. Boles owned the horses. Herman was caught under the wagon as it overturned and his skull was crushed. He lived at 1231 High Street. The team and wagon were leased to the brewery at the time.

1920 – 1933: The brewery remained open during prohibition and was permitted to make non-alcoholic beer.

1927 Sanborn Map
The 1927 map shows the individual structures of the brewery. It also shows some dates that a structure was built or rebuilt. The corner office building that we see today was rebuilt in 1897. What we know today as the Penn Brewery restaurant was rebuilt in 1883. There are other structures that were built in 1883 but now removed. These are the structures designed by Architect Joseph Stillberg. It is commonly believed that these structures were built after a fire destroyed the original brewery. I can find no evidence that there was a fire and the buildings were designed to build a larger and more efficient brewery. The fire everyone talks about was the 1893 fire at the Straub brewery that, at that time, was owned by Eberhardt & Ober and used as a grain elevator.

1933 Brewery Reopens after Prohibition
The Board of Directors of the Pittsburgh Brewing Company voted to reopen the Eberhardt & Ober Brewery. Fred C. Klussmann made the announcement. The boilers were in good shape but other equipment will be replaced. This was noted in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on April 25, 1933, page 7.

The brewery underwent a major rehab after the end of prohibition. New equipment was installed and the brewery was generally rehabilitated.

1933 August 18 Oil Fumes overcome Men
Quick work saved the lives of the two men who were trapped while painting a huge tank at the Eberhardt amd Ober Brewery, Troy Hill Road.

Two painters were rescued from a huge tank at the Eberhardt & Ober Brewery. Troy Hill Road, today after they had been overcome by fumes. Policemen and firemen affected the rescue after the men had been inside the tank about 30 minutes revived them with inhalators and removed them to Allegheny General Hospital. The two victims, Frank Oberleitner of 1314 Federal Street, and Urban W. Staph of 326 Forty-fourth Street, wore masks to protect them from the fumes of oil with which they were treating the inside of the tank, located in the cooling room of the brewery. A fan blew fresh air into the vat but apparently something went wrong with the ventilation system shortly after the men went to work. Other workmen noticed that no sounds came from the vat and. investigating, found both of the painters huddled at the bottom unconscious. Unable to reach them because of the oil fumes, policemen and firemen were summoned. They brought the two men out.

1930’s Water Cooling Structure
A photograph taken in the 1930’s of the general area around the brewery shows what looks to be a water-cooling structure behind the building near Prospect Street. I can find no information on when it was constructed and what it specifically used for.

1952 Brewery Workers Strike
The strike started on April 22 and ended on July 31 after a vote of 1,189 to 383. The worker struck the plants of the Pittsburgh Brewing Company as well as Fort Pitt and Duquesne. The one-year contract gave the workers a 5 cent differential for the second shift, 7 cents for the third, time and a half for Saturday. In addition, insurance for dependents was also granted and workers had a choice of shifts based on senority. The old two-year contract expired on April 1. Pittsburgh Brewing Co. closed the Eberhardt & Ober Brewery during this strike.

1953 Property Sale
Pittsburgh Brewing Company sold the E & O property to the Kovalchick Salvage Company for $100,000. The agreement was made on October 27, 1953.

1976 Demolition:
Buildings along Troy Hill Road were demolished after the roofs collapsed. The collapse was caused due to a fire.

1986 Pennsylvania Brewing Company
Tom Pastorius founded this company and after that acquired the E & O property. See the Penn Brewery History page.

1987 National Register of Historic Places
The brewery sitting on 40 acres and containing 6 buildings and 5 structures, at the time, was placed on the list of National Register of Historic Places (#87001984).
The architectural style is Romanesque, Classical Revival, Italianat