Historic Survey of the Ober and Eberhardt Breweries


This Document First Published: September 7, 2017

Two of the breweries acquired by the Pittsburgh Brewing Company in 1899 was the F. L. Ober Brewery and the Eberhardt & Ober Brewery, hence the title of this page. Pittsburgh Brewing Company acquired the Ober Brewery and the Eberhardt & Ober Brewery and continued operating as the Eberhardt & Ober Brewing plant of the Pittsburgh Brewing Company until the early 1950’s. In 1986 the company E & O Partners bought the property which we know today as the Penn Brewery. Penn Brewery is a tenant.

Brewery Owners after 1950


Pittsburgh Brewing Company
Pittsburgh Brewing Company owned the property of both the F. L. Ober Brewery and the Eberhardt & Ober Brewery from 1899 until 1953. Effectively the Ober brewery ceased to exist and the combined breweries and property went by the name Eberhardt & Ober Brewery.

Joe Kolvalchick 1953
Pittsburgh Brewing Company sold the E & O property to the Kovalchick Salvage Company for $100,000. The agreement was made on October 27, 1953. At the time the brewery was functional so Kolvalchick was an owner of a brewery.

Pennsylvania Brewing Company 1986
At a September 6, 1986 hearing the Pittsburgh Zoning Board (reported by Bob Hover of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette) approved a 3.5 million dollar plan for the renovation of the Eberhardt & Ober Brewery property. A plan was put together to put in place an office complex and brewery to be known as the Brewery Innovation Center.

Pennsylvania Brewing Company 2003
Birchmere Capital bought the brewery in 2003 from Tom Pastorius.

Pennsylvania Brewing Company 2009
Tom Pastorius reacquires the brewery along with investors Linda Nyman, Sandy Cindric and Corry Little, as noted in The Northside Chronicle, December 22, 2009.

Pennsylvania Brewing Company
Per Pa Department of State (July 26, 2017 search) Sandra Cindrich, President; Linda Nyman, Secretary and Treasurer

Building Owners after 1950


Pittsburgh Brewing Company
PBC owned the property from 1899 until 1953.

Joe Kolvalchick 1953
Pittsburgh Brewing Company sold the E & O property to the Kovalchick Salvage Company for $100,000. The agreement was made on October 27, 1953.

North Side Civic Development Council, Pittsburgh, Indiana County, Pa. salvage operator, sold the buildings to the North Side Civic Development Council, Pittsburgh for $170,000. The sale price came from Bob Hover’s story.

Side Note: Kolvalchick was the salvage operator in Uniontown for the Beeston Avenue brewery auction. This was announced in the Morning Herald of Uniontown, July 28, 1948.
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/63818756/

E & O Partners 1987
In 1987 E & O Partners bought the building (Allegheny Co. Lot & Block 24-K-369) on August 12 for $257,000. E & O Partners was created on January 21, 1987. 1000 California Avenue 15212 per Department of State. DLB Management, Inc. was a general partners. E & O Partners LLC was located at 1000 California Avenue (North Side) 15212.

Until 1987 the brewery and property were owned by the same entity. At this time the building was owned independently from the brewery.

DLB Management Inc., (David J. Malone, president) became a general partner of E&O Partners during the 2009 buy-back. DLB Management was created March 16, 1994, 1120 Perry Highway 15237.
Officers: David Malone, Louis W. Molnar, William Baierl.

Northside Leadership Conference 2010
The North Side Leadership Conference Inc., (Mark Fatla, executive director) bought the building on July 7, 2010 for $1,179,000, an increase of $922,000.
http://phlf.org/2010/07/01/group-buys-penn-brewery-buildings/
Joe Napsha, writing for the
Pittsburgh Tribune-Review noted that Northside was to partner with Vinial Street LP to manage the buildings.

Pastorius Properties sold to Northside Leadership Conference Lot & Block 24-K-363. This was Lot 7 of Voetly Plan of Lots. The Conference was owner as of November 22, 2017.

Vinial Street LP 2017
Bought the property on January 31, 2017 for $1,290,750. Parkway Holdings LP is a general partner in ownership. Vinial Street LP incorporated on June 28, 2010.

Pennsylvania Brewing associated
Sandy Cindrich
Gary Cindrich listed as co-owner of Vinial Street LP.
Richard Rosella, VP Sales and Marketing
Linda Nyman, Marketing Director
Stuart Nyman, Accountant
Peter J. Muth, VP Stonewood Capital is on the board of directors

Bottling Building Property

801 Vinial Street, Lot & Block 24-K-182
James C. Jr. & William Eastley to Deutschetown Center LP on February 3, 2004 for $725,000. Deed Book 11937, page 574. Allegheny County does not list who Eastley purchased the property from.

1986 Funding Organizations


Gateway Financial Service
David J. Malone was one of the founding members in 1982.

Northside Community Development Fund
Linda J. Lefever founded the Northside Community Development Fund and was a part of the E & O renovation.

Preservation Fund

Trust for Public Land

The Preservation Fund and the Trust for Public Land enabled the North Side Civic Council to begin restoration. They were in conjunction with Gateway Financial Service (Mellon?) and senior partner David Malone. Mellon Bank created a bank community development corporation in 1986, which financed the Brewery Innovation Center. Tom began the project in October 1987. Per Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Winter 1987-88 news page 2.

2009 Funding Organizations


Huntington Bank
Northside Community Development Fund
Urban Redevelopment Authority of Pittsburgh
http://www.thenorthsidechronicle.com/penn-brewery-gets-huntington-loan/

Demolition and Reconstruction


Other than the corner office building the existing Eberhardt buildings along Troy Hill Road were demolished in 1976. The demolition allowed for the construction of a two-level parking garage, which came when the Innovation Center and Brewery reconstruction were taking place.

As reported in
Preserving Pennsylvania, Volume 4, November 1, 1989 a construction award by the Bureau of Historic Preservation was presented to North Side Civic Development Council, Pittsburgh, owners of the buildings. They employed Mistick & Sons (established 1975) to do the renovation. The project architect was Landmarks Design Associates, Pittsburgh.

Note: Mark Schneider, director of development for the civic council: North Side Civic Development Council died on Saturday before July 29, 2012.

Lot Parcels
This
Hopkins map of 1890 (Plate 10) illustrates the Eberhardt Brewery pretty much as it would have appeared when it closed in 1952. The brewery extended along Troy Hill Road from Vinial Street to Progress Street. The Ober Brewery in the rear of Eberhardt and facing Vinial Street.

The
Hopkins map of 1890 (Plate 9) illustrates the Ober property along Vinial Street with Eberhardt being on the right at the corner of Troy Hill Road. The lots (lot number and with along Vinial) are: No. 4, 60 feet; Lot 5, 60 feet, Lot 6, 60 feet with another 10 foot lot adjacent; No. 7 4 feet with another 20 feet lot adjacent; No. 8, 40 feet. Lots 4 through 7 belonged to George Ober in 1872 but Frank acquired lot 8 afterwards.

See
Hopkins map of 1939 (Plate 12B)

1989 Post-Gazette
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/89718252/
February 25, 1989 Bob Hoover reported that Tom Pastorius received his license. Alex Deml was sent to Germany to obtain the yeast.

Buildings Along Vinial Street
Does not include the corner office building

The building are identified by location starting at the intersection of Troy Hill Road (parallel to Rt. 28) and Vinial Street. Walking from the intersection along Vinial Street one will see the main brewing building on the right and the bottling building across the street on the left.

Architectural Styles:
CLASSICAL REVIVAL
ITALIANATE
ROMANESQUE

Inventory of Structures


The buildings we see today along Vinial Street looks much like they did since 1909 with changes made up to 1920.

Administrative Office
Corner of Vinial Street and Troy Hill Road: Three-stories
Built 1897: Architect Edward M. Butz
Original Owner: Eberhardt & Ober Brewing Company
This building appears on the Sanborn Fire Insurance map of 1927, Vol. 15, 1503.

Building
Vinial Street adjacent to the Administrative Office: Four-stories
Built 1883 (or 1894): Architect Joseph Stillburg
This building appears on the Sanborn Fire Insurance map of 1927, Vol. 15, 1503.
Joseph Stillburg designed what is today the brewery and restaurant. It included the appendage (partially demolished) along the side yard and a building (now a part of the parking garage) facing Troy Hill Road. The restaurant/bar room was used for keg washing and racking and hop storage.

Fred Sauer, Architect designed plans for a five-story brick and stone stock and brew house for the F. L. Ober Brewery. The
Brickbuilder, volume 5, Rogers and Manson Company, 1896

Stock House
Vinial Street adjacent to Building: Three-story
Built 1917: Architect Julius Schultz
Original Owner: Pittsburgh Brewing Company
This building appears on the Sanborn Fire Insurance map of 1927, Vol. 15, 1503.
Sanborn has 1917 for the Stock House but I think that is in error.
1916: The American Contractor announced that the Pittsburgh Brewing Company was taking bids for a new stock house. Julius Schultz was the architect from 1370 Main Street, Buffalo, NY.

1917:
The Brewers’ Journal announced that Pittsburgh Brewing was building a new stock house at the Eberhardt & Ober Brewery.

1917:
The Brewers Journal reported in January that Pittsburgh Brewing received a building permit to build a three-story brick and steel stock house at its branch on Vinial Street. The cost for the project was $33,000.

End Building
Vinial Street adjacent to Stock House: Two-story
Office for the F. L. Ober Brewing Company.

Bottling House 1
Vinial Street: Two-story
Built 1902: Architect Edmund Stotz, Pittsburgh
American Brewers Review, 1902 reported the completion of a new bottling house 90 X 70 feet.
This building appears on the Sanborn Fire Insurance map of 1927, Vol. 15, 1502.
This building appears in the Hopkins Atlas of 1906. When looking at the front of the building this is the right-hand structure with the gable roof. The left-hand structure nearer Troy Hill Road was added in 1908.

Bottling House 2
Vinial Street: Two-story
Built 1908: Architect unknown
E & O let a contract for an addition to the bottling plant per
Chemistry, Construction as Applied ..., Volumes 7-8, 1908
This building appears on the Sanborn Fire Insurance map of 1927, Vol. 15, 1502.

Pipe Tunnel
1907, March: The Select Council of Pittsburgh passed ordinance 638 granting the Eberhardt & Ober branch of Pittsburgh Brewing Company to place a thirty-six inch conduit under Vinial Street connecting the brewery to the racking room of the bottling house.

In 1911 E & O secured permission from the IRS to construct a pipeline from the racking house to the new bottling plant. Prior to prohibition a brewery could not bottle in the same building that the brewing took place. Everything about brewing and bottling was regulated by the government. One oddity in this was that the pipe coming from the brewery could not make any direct contact with the bottling building.

The
American Bottler, volume 14, 1911 reported that the brewery submitted a request to Pittsburgh city council for an ordinance seeking permission to construct a pipeline under Vinial Street. American Brewers’ Review Vol. 25 1911 reported on the completion of this pipe. The Goetz Company of Chicago furnished the pipe, which was connected to 10-glass enameled tanks.

Grain Silos
There were three brick grain silos adjacent to the

The Pipe Tunnel
In 1911 E & O secured permission from the IRS to construct a pipeline from the racking house to the new bottling plant. Prior to prohibition a brewery could not bottle in the same building that the brewing took place. Everything about brewing and bottling was regulated by the government. One oddity in this was that the pipe coming from the brewery could not make any direct contact with the bottling building.

The
American Bottler, volume 14, 1911 reported that the brewery submitted a request to Pittsburgh city council for an ordinance seeking permission to construct a pipeline under Vinial Street.

The Sukes Run Pipe
A 60-inch diameter pipe was constructed to carry the stream, Sukes Run. A portion of it is under and in the rear of the bottling buildings. Sukes Run was formerly Saw Mill Run and also known as Butcher’s Run due to the port packing companies in the area.

Automatic Dumping Kiln Floor
E & O bought two floor kilns from W, Toepler & Sons, Milwaukee, Wisconsin in or prior to 1910.
https://books.google.com/books?id=PKlBAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA389&lpg=PA389&dq=eberhardt+%26+ober+bottling&source=bl&ots=R6bNzuioBb&sig=9dOjBjhuvTB2cdJpbjNrk5NyLOI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwim34-Pp5jVAhXFVT4KHfzhCjU4ChDoAQgvMAI#v=onepage&q=eberhardt%20%26%20ober%20bottling&f=false

The Ober family owned several lots along Vinial Street near the intersection of Troy Hill Road.

1911
American Brewers’ Review Vol. 25 1911 reported on the completion of this pipe. The Goetz Company of Chicago furnished the pipe, which was connected to 10-glass enameled tanks.
https://books.google.com/books?id=ostOAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA464&lpg=PA464&dq=Eberhardt+%26+Ober+Bottling+building+architect&source=bl&ots=8-DC7ip0Hv&sig=Mt4snFUeIz20Ry4msGqi0OCTjEE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi4jv2W-IbVAhUFQyYKHRFaAhU4ChDoAQg9MAQ#v=onepage&q=Eberhardt%20%26%20Ober%20Bottling%20building%20architect&f=false

1916 new label machine installed
https://books.google.com/books?id=duk1AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA198&lpg=PA198&dq=Eberhardt+%26+Ober+Bottling+building+architect&source=bl&ots=CphcnVpwU1&sig=fXA4EliPwfeLwcG-4LkhCYYV_Oc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiTucz89YbVAhXJ5SYKHTYlBOsQ6AEIVjAI#v=onepage&q=Eberhardt%20%26%20Ober%20Bottling%20building%20architect&f=false

1870 Industries of Pittsburgh
https://books.google.com/books?id=691PAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA81&lpg=PA81&dq=Eberhardt+%26+Ober+steam&source=bl&ots=H0bpkuHV25&sig=pplyzG5pvEUocAtZzXriVTSIfUs&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi3yvyzv_rUAhWPZj4KHcY9DvI4ChDoAQg8MAM#v=onepage&q=Eberhardt%20%26%20Ober%20steam&f=false
Fist established in 1852. Became Eberhardt & Ober in 1870. Third brewery in Pittsburgh to make lager.

Buildings Along Troy Hill Road


Office Building
This three-story building sits at the intersection of Troy Hill Road (parallel to Rt. 28) and Vinial Street.

Current building at the corner was rebuilt in 1897 according to the Sanborn Fire Insurance Company.

Eberhardt & Ober Brewery 1870

These structures are shown on page 97 in Allegheny County: Its Early History and Subsequent Development: from the Earliest Period, published in 1888.

Office building: Two-story frame structure, 40 feet X 44 feet. This was a square building what was replaced in 1897 with the current office building.

Malt House: Four-story built in 1883, 50 feet X 85 feet with a capacity of 20,000 bushels

Two-story brick brewery and boiler house in rear, 40 feet X 50 feet
Two boilers 20’ long X 42 inches in diameter
Two engines 15 and 20 HP

Three rock vaults of 5.000 barrels

Ice house planned in 1870 50; X 80’ with a cellar underneath of 4,000 barrels

See:
Allegheny County: Its Early History and Subsequent Development: from the Earliest Period Till 1790
Allegheny County Centennial Committee (Pa.)
Snowden & Peterson, 1888 - Allegheny County (Pa.) - 277 pages
https://books.google.com/books?id=Qv1HAQAAMAAJ&pg=RA1-PA97&lpg=RA1-PA97&dq=Ober+Lager+Beer+Allegheny&source=bl&ots=mQefMPy8DW&sig=Awoj6mpk9vUw-hTZDIGYl93Sfp8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjil-jEgYDVAhWMGD4KHacBCBo4FBDoAQgsMAE#v=onepage&q=Ober%20Lager%20Beer%20Allegheny&f=false
Page 97 shows the above in an 1888 ad. The stack is behind the two-story boiler house. The Ober Brewery sits behind and the building looks like it does today. Hopkins 1882, Plate 32 shows the George Ober Brewery occupying llots 4, 5,6. And 7 of the J. Voegtly Plan of Lots. The Eberhardt & Ober Brewery is shown, albeit unnamed, on Lot 132.

The 1890 Hopkins Plates 8 & 10 show the Eberhardt Brewery occupying Lot 4 and Ober Brothers on Lots 5 & 6 with Mary Ober on Lot 7.
Pittsburgh Brewing E & O Plant 1906 Plate 182
http://collection1.libraries.psu.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/maps1/id/2764/rec/4