Strip District

January 23, 2016

Strip District Historical Note

James O’Hara & George A. Bayard purchases this land in 1773. It would be known as the Strip when it was annexed by Pittsburgh in 1837. The O’Hara & Bayard plan went from 11th Street to 15th Street and was know as the Northern Liberties. The Northern Liberties became a Borough on April 14, 1829 and merged with Pittsburgh on March 1, 1, 1837, becoming Pittsburgh’s Fifth Ward.
It was also known as Bayardstown.

Brewery Locations


Aurochs Brewing Company
Owner: 2124 Brewing Company LLC
2124 Penn Ave
Originated in the Strip District in 2013 and moved to Emsworth (See Allegheny County page) in January 2013. The company incorporated on November 13, 2012. Aurochs is the first gluten free brewery in Pittsburgh.

Bayardstown Brewery-Beck Brewery
Factory and Mulberry with his home at Factory and Penn as listed in the 1857 Pittsburgh Directory. Owner: John Beck 541 Liberty Street Jacob Beck was listed as a brewer in the 1847 business directory.
John Beck had a planning mill at Washington & Canal (now 11
th Street) John Beck was at 541 Liberty Street as shown in Pittsburgh, as, or Facts & Figures. J. Beck had property at 14th & Penn. The numbering system at the time was continuous and did not start at “1” at the beginning of the next block. The 540 series seems to have been overlooked.
The
Directory of Pittsburgh and Allegheny cities, by George Henry Thurston, page 313 has John Beck, 20 Factory St. J. Beck had property in 1872 at Fourteenth (formerly Factory Street) and Penn in the Strip, but it is not known if this was a brewery location or his residence. Thurston in his 1857 Pittsburgh directory identifies Beck owning the Bayardstown brewery.
Washington and Canal Street
Hopkins 1882 Atlas, Plate 3 shows Washington Street extending to Liberty Street where Grant Street connects with Liberty today.

Bentiz Brewery
Quarry Street or Liberty Street at 17th Street
Gangwisch may have preceded this location.
Bentiz, along with partners Hoeveler and Miller moved here from Wood Street in Downtown. The
Directory of Pittsburgh and Allegheny cities, by George Henry Thurston lists the Bentz Brewery on page 313 having misspelled the name. Thurston has the address as 570 Liberty but Quarry Street is also used to identify the location. The two streets were parallel and were often interchanged by writers. Bennett, Anthony, Penn Street 5th ward was a brewer as listed in the Pittsburgh Directory, but Penn Street would have been his residence. See Fifth Ward Breweries, below.
Please see additional information with respect to this brewery in the Pittsburgh Brewing page in the Special Interest section.

Bennett Brewery
Harris’ Business Directory of Pittsburgh of 1844 has Anthony Bennett, Penn Street 5th Ward.

This brewery has been miss-identified by others due to the corruption of the name Benitz to Bennett. See the Benitz Brewery, below as well as the Bentiz Corruption in the Pittsburgh Brewing page in the Special Interest section.

Fifth Ward Lager Beer Brewery
Owner: Adam Baeurlein
Baeuerlein Brewery, Adam (455 Liberty Avenue) 1845-1864
(455 was between Twelfth & Thirteenth Streets)
Baeuerlein, Adam (46 Quarry Street) 1866-1867
Baeuerlein & Sons, Adam (Christian & Adam A.) 1867-1868

Adam Baeuerlein was the proprietor of the Fifth ward lager beer brewery, which was his home and shop at 455 Liberty as listed in Thurston’s Directory of 1860. Adam was born July 1815 in Bavaria, Germany. He died May 18, 1874 at the age of 59. He came to Pittsburgh in 1840. He married Barbara Lenizner in 1845. Adam built several breweries having the first one in 1845 on Liberty. A fourth was in Shaler Township at Bennett Station, known as the Star Brewery. His sons and Fred Klussman continued with it. Klussman worked for Adam at the age of 20 as a driver and then became a brewer but then moved to Cincinnati. Returning to Pittsburgh he became a partner with Christian.

For the C. Baeuerlein Brewery in Millvale, see the Allegheny County section on Millvale.

Adam Baeuerlein, proprietor of Fifth ward lager beer brewery, h and s 455 Liberty per Thurston Directory of 1860.

Foundry Ale Works (Brewpub)
Fore Reference Only, Not in the Regional Count

See Sweet Water Brewing Company, below.

Gangwisch Brewery
Owner: John Gangwisch
John Gangwisch arrived in American in 1848 at the age of 27. In Pittsburgh he started work at the John Beck brewery (see Bayardstown Brewery, above). Between 15th & 16th Streets on the south side of Liberty, which would be Quarry Street. Thurston has him at 570 Liberty in 1857

Gangwish Planing Mill On an unknown date he and two partners bought a planning mill on Liberty Street and opened it as a brewery. It existed until the 1860’s when the Pennsylvanian Railroad bought the property. John Beck had a planing mill at Washington & Canal (new 11
th Street). Gangwisch worked for Beck when he came to Pittsburgh and there is no evidence that he was a brewer. This could have been the mill Gangwisch turned into a brewery. The 1859 directory had Gangwisch, (August) Leussler & Co, Brewery at 570 Liberty.

According to
Industries of Pennsylvania, he moved to Bloomfield but also opened the Allegheny Valley Brewery in Lawrenceville afterwards.

Iron City Brewery
Owner: Frauenheim & Vilsack Brewing Co.
Formerly: Bentiz/Bennett Brewing Co.
17
th St & Liberty St (now Avenue) at Harrison
Also known to be 46 Quarry St
Preceded by Bentiz Brewing
Frauenheim & Vilsach then moved to Lawrenceville
Leopold Vilsack, Edward Frauenheim, John Miller and Augstine Hoeveler established the Iron City Brewery at this location in 1861. Miller and Hoeveler moved the Bentiz Brewery to this location from Wood Street, Downtown. After Vilsack and Frauenheim became partners it was renamed the Iron City. This was only the name of the brewery as the corporate name was Frauenheim and Miller It operated here from 1861 to 1886 when it moved to 34
th Street at Liberty Avenue (Lawrenceville) under Frauenheim and Vilsack. See the Pittsburgh Brewing page in the special Section. Andrew King was a brewer at this location at one time.

The Penn Avenue Incline (also know as the 17
th Street Incline) was built in 1883. None of the maps I have available show a brewery but they are from the late 1800’s.

Meyers Brewery, Phillip
Corner of Factory (14th Street) & Mulberry
Listed in the 1860 directory.

Milkman Brewing Co.
Owner: Milkman Brewing Company
2519 Penn Avenue
Opened for business on July 3, 2014
They have leased this property as of fall 2013. Originated in 2010, they tried to find a location on the North Side. Founded by Chris Momberger, who also co-founded the Pittsburgh Marshmallow Factory, along with Jamie Rice, Justin Waters and Kyle Branigan.

Ninth Ward Brewery
Owner: Sebastian & Foster
Penn & Morton Streets
The
Directory of Pittsburgh & Allegheny Cities (1860) had this brewery listed. The Ninth Ward around 1872 was in the Strip District between Eleventh Street and Fifteenth Street.

Begin Phoenix Brewery


Also, see the Phoenix Brewery Comparative Notes page
The following were associated with this brewery at 24
th & Smallman Street:
Coltart & Silvery from 1829 until 1830
Adam Wood Phoenix Steam Brewery (Woods & Hughes)
Spencer and Garrard
Spencer & McKay & Co.
Phoenix Brewery fire of 1865
Spencer & Liddell
William Tann
A brewery under their names is listed as such in this page.

Timeline
1829 Coltart & Silvery until 1830
1843 Spencer arrived in Pittsburgh (also 1841)
1845 Adam Wood Phoenix Steam Brewery
1847 Woods & Hughs (Harris directory)
1850 Liddell arrived in Pittsburgh
1850 McKay arrived in Pittsburgh
1859 Spencer purchased the brewery from Wood & Hughes
1859 Spencer and Garrard Phoenix Brewery (in 1860 directory)
1862 Spencer & McKay (from at least 1862)
1865 Fire, June 5, destroys the brewery
0000 Spencer & McKay & Co. (Rebuilt)
Liddell was a partner in Spencer & McKay
0000 Spencer & Liddell
0000 Spencer & Joseph
0000 William Tan Phoenix Brewing
1899 Pittsburgh Brewing Co. 1899 – 1920

Coltart & Silvery
Plate 6 for Phoenix Brewing
Coltart & Silvery were owners in 1829 but in 1830 they offered the brewery for sale or rent. Colart & Sivlery also operated a brewery in Kensington (see Downtown).

Adam Wood Steam Brewery
Operated by Wood & Hughes. Most third parties give 1845 when the brewery was established and they assume this location. The date for this location is correct but they first started brewing in Kensington. See the Kensington section in the Downtown page. They sold the Strip District brewery in 1859.
Joseph Spencer purchased the Adam Wood Brewery in 1859

Wood(s) & Hughes
The spelling of Wood has also been shown as Woods in relation to this brewery.

Phoenix Brewery
The building, which is still in existing as of 2012, was built in 1895, as noted by the date-stone. The brewing company would have been in existence prior to that date. There are several buildings on site and they span Smallman Street. The buildings on the Liberty Avenue side of Smallman were the brewing facilities and that on the other side of Smallman was the bottling house. It is the current home to Wigle Whiskey.

Spencer and Garrard
Spencer and Garrard were listed as owners of the Phoenix in Thurston’s 1860 directory. They were also listed as owners of the Point Malt House on Water St.

Spencer & McKay & Co
Spencer & McKay & Co. Phoenix Steam Brewery
Noted in Hopkins’ Historic Map 1872, Table of Contents. Joshua Spencer and James McKay, malsters and brewers of ale, porter and lager beer, went to court to recover insurance money resulting from a fire at the brewery on June 5, 1865.
The
Pittsburgh Industries document has Phoenix beginning in 1802 in error.

Phoenix Brewery Fire
A fire at the brewery occurred on June 5, 1865. At that time Joshua Spencer and James McKay were the owners. They filed a claim of loss with the People’s Insurance Company, which was denied. In court (in 1866) the insurance company defended their action on the basis that the Spence and McKay were distilling and storing spirits without a license. Read the court action in the report illustrating People’s Insurance v Spencer.

Spencer & Liddell
Mr. Liddell was from England and came to Pittsburgh in 1850.

Spencer & Joseph
Spencer is well past his prime and now on his own. He was always partnered with somebody and as his first name was Joseph I speculate that he called the company Spencer & Joseph in name only.

Phoenix Brewery William Tann
Tann buys the brewery and forms the Phoenix Brewing Co.
Tann purchased the brewery from Spencer & Liddell.

William was born in England and came to America in 1854 per The Gazette Times, May 8, 1911 death notice. He was 83 and died in a home for the aged. He operated the William Tann Bottling Works, Lawrenceville location unknown. The brewery operated from 1890 to 1891. I have no firm information on the 1890 date. The Auditor General of Pennsylvania listed the Tan Brewing Company in a report for 1891. Tann was a wealthy person but lost almost all his money in the brewery. It was then taken over by Pittsburgh Brewing in 1899. PBC operated it until prohibition in 1920. The 1918 Brewmaster was Bernard Gutbrod. After the brewery came the Otto Milk Company and then the building fell in disrepair. The building is now an apartment building.

The Pittsburgh Press on February 16 & 17, 1900 reported that William Tann was charged with selling liquor without a license on Election Day from his home. He was sentenced to the Allegheny County workhouse for three months. He made money in the water business but lost most of it as a shareholder in the Phoenix Brewery, formerly the Spencer & Liddell Brewery.

Pittsburgh Brewing Company
The company buys the building in 1889.

End Phoenix Brewery


Schiltz Brewing Co., Joseph
Listed in the 1887 Pittsburgh Directory at Etna and Eleventh Streets and at South Twenty-first and Josephine. The Bavarian Brewery of M. Winter Brothers Brewing Co. (1883 – 1899) was also at the 21st Street location. Etna (between Smallman and the river) and Eleventh Streets are in the Strip District. These location could have been beer depots for the brewery from Milwaukee.

Smith’s Brewery
An entry in the 1852 Pittsburgh Directory has William H Garrard as manager of the brewery. He was living at 212 Penn St. This was George W Smith at Pitt Street but living at Fourth Street Road. James Smith was a malster at 15 Scott’s Alley.

Strip Brewery (Brewpub)
2106 Penn Avenue
Opened 1997 (grand opening June 6), closed
Original brewer Bill Ehlert came from Buffalo Brewing. It was said that he moved here after the brewery closed. Bill did traditional ales served in wood casks and without pressure or pumping. Bill had an assistant, but heaven help me, as I can’t remember his name. The Strip Brewery made good beer on tap and cask. One thing that set them apart (until John Harvard’s) was the interesting cask ale on the back bar. This beer was served at room temperature and via gravity.

Sweet Water Brewing Co.
2816 Smallman Street
Brewing operations of the Foundry Ale Works restaurant.
Opened November 1997, Closed June 2003
Operated under Sweet Water Brewing Co. Jonathan Zangwill was the original brewer. Aran Madden was brewer after Jonathan as well as others.

Tann Brewing Co., William


Three Rivers Restaurant & Brewing (Brewpub)
2837 Smallman Street
Open December 1996, Closed July 31, 1997
Mark Slater was the brewer for Three Rivers and he was brought over from England. As the brewery had a short life due to financial issues he went on to Buffalo and then back to England were he became head brewer for St. Peter’s in Bungay.

Valhalla Restaurant & Brewery (Brewpub)
11th & Smallman Street (Strip District-Convention Center area)
Opened 1997, Closed September 2003
Original owner: Chris Passodelis until 1999.
Don Kendall (former CEO of PepsiCo) 1999 to 2003 (brewery ceases operations).
Building acquired by Big Burrito Restaurant Group. Operating as Eleven.
Michael Fitzurka, general manager throughout.
Seam McIntyre came to Valhalla from John Harvard’s in Wilkins Township. He then moved on to North Country Brewing in Slippery Rock.

Wood Steam Brewery, Adam
24th & Smallman St, Plate 6 for Phoenix Brewing
Operated by Wood & Hughes, established in 1845, sold in 1859
See Phoenix Brewery for more details.

The Wood brewery appears to have operated from 1859 but I cannot confirm that. It became the Spencer and Garrard Brewery in 1859, Spencer & McKay & Co. Phoenix Brewery in 1872, and then the Spencer & Liddell Brewery. Adam Woods had property between 25
th & 26th (between Mulberry & Smallman) in 1872. This is shown on the Hopkins Atlas.

The use of the word steam in the name of the company indicated that the brewery was using a steam engine as a power source in driving the machinery. Many wrongly assume they brewed steam beer.

Woods & Hughes Brewery (Strip District)
Harrison (17th Street)
An 1845 directory places the Phoenix Brewery of Woods & Hughes being at this location, but this cannot be correct as Phoenix was at 24
th Street. See Adam Wood Steam Brewery, above and in the Phoenix Brewery group. The 1852 directory had A & A Wood, brewers at Liberty & Harrison. Abraham lived at 730 Penn and Adam at 633 Penn.

Non-Brewing Entries


East End Brewing Co. Growler Shop
2100 Smallman St from 2010 until 2014
2401 Penn Ave from 2014 to present
Owner: Scott Smith & East End Brewing Company
At 2100 Smallman since 2010 but the building closed and the Public Market moved to a new location at 2401 Penn Ave.

Foundry Ale Works (Brewpub)
2816 Smallman Street
This was the restaurant of the Sweet Water Brewery as noted below.
Owners were: Bill Rodgers, Blaze Katich and Paul Williams.

The owners of the Foundry also owned the
River City Ale Works in Wheeling, WV. River City was West Virginia’s first brewpub and was formerly the Nail City Brewery. Nail City was formed as a stock company in 1873. A flood in 2003 damaged the tanks and brewing ceased.

Pabst Brewing Company of Milwaukee
12th & Pike St (Smallman Street)
Pabst did not brew in Pittsburgh but they maintained a presence through a dealer, G. J. Rambuck.

Pittsburgh Brewers and Bottlers Supply Company
1633 Liberty Ave.
Supplied malt, hops and machinery to brewers. They were also an agent for the Karl Kieffer beer filter.

South Side Brewing Company
Not in the regional count
This is a corporate company that operated the Three Rivers Brewery. Three Rivers was not the first choice for a location. Ron Kosko, who managed Three Rivers, was partnered with South Side developer Thomas R. Tripoli. They were looking to open the Iron Bridge Inn on the South Side where the present/former Holiday Inn Express is located at the foot of the South 10
th Street Bridge. Part of the development was to have a brewpub. The development did not go through due to zoning issues.

Fifth Ward Breweries
By James Beck

James A. Beck lived in the ward and was a clerk of vital statistics in the City Department of Heath for 20 years. His writing: The Old Fifth Ward of Pittsburgh, Recollections of James Beck is from what he and his parents remembered. They were published in the Western Pennsylvania Historical Magazine, No. 28, 1945.

The Old Fifth Ward of Pittsburgh, James A. Beck; Western Pennsylvania Historical Magazine, 28: (September – December 1945).
The document
The Old Fifth Ward of Pittsburgh has no date but was written shortly after the city was divided into 27 wards after the 1907 annexation of Allegheny City. The Fifth Ward was situated between Quarry Hill and the Allegheny River and Canal Street (now 11th Street) and a line in the vicinity of 17th or 18th Street.

The Fifth Ward had five breweries according t Beck and three were along the hillside, known at one time to be Quarry Hill. Quarry Street sat at the base of the hill until vacated by the railroad during the 1860’s. As Beck only named one of the breweries, I have given each a number to separate them for identification. The first 3 were along the Quarry Hill.

The Breweries of the Fifth Ward

Brewery No. 1 was opposite Factory St (14th).
Adam Baeuerlein (above) had his first brewery at 455 Liberty between 12
th & 13th Streets. Fifth Ward Breweries does not name this brewery but I speculate that it could have belonged to Baeuerlein.

Brewery No. 2 was at Harrison St (17
th).
As Beck locates this unknown brewery along the hill and brewery number 4 at Liberty, essentially the same location, he seems to be very clear that there were two breweries in this vicinity. Beck (Old Bayardstown, below) does not name Ganwisch in his work but Peck places him on the south side of Liberty between 15
th & 16th Streets.

Brewery No. 3 was between Harrison St (17
th) and Allegheny St (21st).
This is a rather broad distance given to locate one brewery.

Beck mentions the caves in the hill that were used to cool the beer.

Brewery No. 4 was Bennett’s Brewery, located at Liberty St and Harrison (17
th) on the site of St. Patrick’s Church, destroyed by fire (see below). Hoeveler & Miller moved to this location in the 1850’s. This is suspicious. Thurston’s 1860 directory identifies Frauenheim & Miller at this location. Harris’ Business Directory of Pittsburgh of 1844 has Anthony Bennett (Brewery), Penn Street 5th Ward. But in 1847 Harris had the brewery listed at Liberty.

Brewery No. 5 was at Factory St (14
th) and Penn St.
(The lot was on the riverside of Penn and towards Lawrenceville)
John Beck had a brewery at 541 Liberty and was to have lived at 20 Factory Street. Hopkins 1872 Atlas, Plate 32 shows J. Beck property at 14
th & Penn.
Harris in 1847 had the Jacob Beck Brewery here.

St. Patrick Church Fire
According to the Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh, the first church had its cornerstone laid on Eleventh Street in 1808. A fire from the adjoining machine shop destroyed the church on August 10, 1854. A new church was built on 14th Street and dedicated on August 14, 1858. Due to overcrowding, a new church was built 17th & Liberty and dedicated on December 15, 1865.
The 14
th Street church was sold to the railroad. The Keyon map of 1835 shows the church but describes it as “old”.

Conflicting Dates
It is possible the Hoeveler & Miller bought the Bennett Brewery in the early 1850’s. They are known to have moved to Lawrenceville as Frauenheim & Vilsack in 1866. How can Frauenheim & Miller be here in 1866 but the church in 1865?

Fifth Ward Original Date


The Fifth Ward was created when the Northern Liberties Borough was annexed by Pittsburgh on March 1, 1837. It then was split into the Ninth and Tenth Wards on June 30, 1868 when other annexations occurred and many wards were re-numbered.

Under an Act of Assembly on April 6, 1867, the townships of Collins, Liberty, Peebles, Pitt and Oakland, along with the Borough of Lawrenceville was incorporated in to the City of Pittsburgh. City Council reformed the Wards on June 30, 1868 into 26 Wards.

Quarry Street Brewery Locations


Many directories listing addresses for homes and businesses identified Quarry Street, in what is now the Strip District. Liberty Street was also given and the two streets were parallel to one another. Prior to the railroad tracks being situated where they are today, they ran down the center of Liberty between the Point and about 29
th Street. This is only speculation but property listed on either street was actually between the streets.

Old Bayardstown
By P W Seibert

Old Bayardstown was a journal by P W Seibert and published in the Western Pennsylvania Historical Magazine, Volume 9, Number 2: April 2, 1926.

Seibert notes Adam Baeurlein having a brewery (with attached bar) across from the Union Depot on Liberty. His sons, Christian and Adam moved to Millvale after his death and erected the Start Brewery. John Gangwisch was on the south side of Liberty between 15
th & 16th Streets. He lost control of that brewery and then built another one in Lawrenceville. Phoenix started out as an ale brewery but switched to only beer as ale, as a drink, was discontinued.