Downtown

July 31, 2016

Downtown Historical Note


Pittsburgh was incorporated as a borough (the Downtown area) on April 22, 1794 and chartered as a city in 1816. Kensington, also known as Pipetown, was a separate community along Second Avenue between the current South 10
th Street Bridge and Try Street. For convenience I am placing Brewery Locations in Kensington after the (Downtown) Brewery Locations.

Brewery Locations
(See Kensington Locations & Kensington Notes, below)
(See Non-Brewing Entries, below)


Benitz Brewery
204 Penn Street per 1852 Pittsburgh Directory
There are two entries in
Woodward & Rowlands' Pittsburgh Directory of 1852 for A. Benitz: brewery at 204 Penn Street and tavern, 139 Wood Street. The 1872 Hopkins Atlas shows the property at 204 to be owned by James Brown. Please see the Pittsburgh Brewing page for more on this brewer. Benitz was associated with Hoeveler, Miller and Leopold Vilsack and was the seed in the formation of the Iron City Brewing Company.

British Army Brewery
Fort Pitt
See the History of the Point Brewery page in the Special Interest section.
Ft. Duquesne was captured by the British Army on November 25, 1758 and renamed it Ft. Pitt. Supposedly the brewery operated between 1765 and 1780 but I can’t find anything definitive that the brewery existed let alone between those dates. But a brewery of some sort had to exist as soldiers were issued beer rations according to historical writings.

Carson, Darlington & Company
See Pittsburgh Brewery, below

Darlington & Company Brewery
H. Darlington, 1867-1890
Darlington & Co. 1870-1890
110-112 First Ave (south side) near Market St toward Wood St
Includes 10 Market St (confirmed on 1882 map)
10 Market Street property owned by A. King
Unknown opening date but identified in the 1872 Pittsburgh Dircetory. Brewery closed in 1886 to be followed by DeWald, Wuesthoff.
This brewery was listed on Tavern Trove but without other descriptions or clarifications. The brewery was identified on map as H. Darlington & Co. It should be (or maybe not be) noted that the property behind the brewery was owned by the Home for Professional Aged Women. The land in 1889 was owned by John Dunlap and apparently subdivided prior to the brewery being build. Carson & Darlington was at this location from 1866 until 1870. The Pittsburgh Dispatch on June 29, 1889 reported that they were refused a license.

A Pittsburgh Directory of 1867 places Pollock, Kaltenborn & Co., manufacturers of Ale, Beer and Vinegar, at this location under the name of Monongahela Brewery (below). Kaltenborn was associated with a brewery in Oakland.

W. Darlington had property at First Ave. and West Street in 1872, but it was not identified on the atlas as a brewery.

H. Darlington had property at First Avenue between Ferry Street and Chancery Lane in 1872 (Plate 2) but it was not identified to be a brewery.

Sanborn map shows Darlington & Co. Ale & Porter Brewery at 110 – 112 First Avenue between Market and Wood Streets.

Darlington sold the Brewery to Pittsburgh Brewing Company in 1886 according to his September 28, 1914 obituary in the New York Times. There may be an error in the obituary concerning the brewery. Rhodes sold the property to Joseph M. Carson and Thomas Miller on September 1, 1866. Carson operated the Pittsburgh Brewery, which may be the brewery the obituary tried to identify and not the Pittsburgh Brewing Company in Lawrenceville.

Darlingotn v. DeWald: Harry Darlington v. W. H. DeWald, Paul Wuesthoff and Walter Wuesthoff, trading as DeWald, Wuesthoff & Company. Darlington owned the building and leased it to the above company. Briefly, the company was to return the building in the same condition that it was given. A court case stemmed from this and was appealed and in October 1899.

Darlington, H (Brewery & Malster)


Deppel Brewey
Owner: Henry Depple
Ferry Street
Henry Depple operated a brewery on Ferry Street between Third and Fourth Streets as noted in Harris’ 1844
Business Directory. He moved to the North Side (then Manchester) after the1845 fire destroyed his brewery as well as a substantial portion of Pittsburgh.

DeWald, Wuesthoff & Company
Owners: DeWald, Wuesthoff & Company
110-112 First Ave
Not a brewery. Placed here for reference and clarification.
Operated from 1894 and assumed to have closed in 1896.
A court case between Darlington and DeWald, Wuesthoff & Company has the company entering a lease about 1891 and terminating it in 1896 just several months prior to the end of the lease.
Preceded by Darlington
They appear to have taken over the H. Darlington Brewery when it closed in 1890. The property was large enough to have the 110 and 112 address numbers. The Hopkins 1889 Atlas, Plate 2 identifies the lot as H. Darlington Brewery.

Darlington was the landowner and leased the building to DeWald & Wuesthoff, who were wholesale liquor dealers.

DeWald, Wuesthoff & Co. was located at 14
th and Pike Street in the Strip District as noted in Polk’s Pittsburgh Directory of 1895. The Jewish Criterion noted in 1896 that they bottled beer.

Faller, Augustus
Smithfield, between Strawberry alley and Seventh Street
The Harris
General Business Directory of 1841 listed Augustus Faller as a tavern keeper, vinegar manufacturer and brewer. Augustus had a tavern or hotel at 66 Water Street per Harris’ 1844 directory. An August Faller was listed as a member in the Selected membership lists from the German Evangelical Church of Birmingham - now Birmingham United Church of Christ, 1896. Birmingham became the South Side. The 1856 Pittsburgh Directory had his tavern at Denman and Virgin Alley in Birmingham

Fleming Brothers, Maltsers & Brewers
Between Penn St & Duquesne Way
Noted in the 1860
Pittsburgh Directory.

John Fleming (d. 1870) was the brother of Cochran. Cochran, Cochran Jr. and J Kidd were partners in Fleming Brothers. They were wholesale druggists at 24 Wood Street. All or some of them could have been in the brewing business, which could have dissolved upon John’s death. Speculation on my part but I have nothing more other than the directory entry. The 1860 Pittsburgh Directory places the “malsters & brewers” between Penn and Duquesne Way but did not give the actual street. They were not listed under Malsters, which only contained Rhodes & Vener and Spencer & Garrard.

Franklin Brewery
Check 1841 directory as Oliver P could not have been here. The Oliver P b 1813 needs to change to Oliver 1813. They were the sons of George (1774)

Owners: Coltart & Dilworth (First mentioned in the1837 Pittsburgh Directory). Owner: O P Shiras (noted in the 1841 Pittsburgh Directory). Front & Second, between Smithfield and Grant 1841 (at least) to 1857 (assumed)
The 1837
Directory of Pittsburgh lists George Jr. Shiras (b. 1806) and O. P. Shiras (b. 1813) at the brewery on Pitt Street.
George Jr. would have been correct as he was born in 1806 but Oliver P was not born until 1833. George Jr. was the son of George who was the founder (along with his father Peter) of the brewery and was born in 1774. Oliver Shiras (no middle initial) was born in 1813 and was George Jr.’s brother.
The Harris
General Business Directory of 1841 has O. P. Shiras as proprietor of the Franklin Brewery as well as being with the Point Brewery on Pitt Street. Oliver Perry Shiras was born in 1833. It seems unlikely that a boy of 8 years would own a brewery. I think the directory erred as I suggest that Oliver Shiras who was born in 1806 should have been in the entries.

The 1815 Pittsburgh Directory listed a George Lewis as a brewer at this address, on the north side of Front Street. Lewis (see below) was noted to be at the north side of Front Street between Wood and Smithfield. Yes, this is a different location but noted here for reference.

Coltart & Dilworth (Historical Note)
https://books.google.com/books?id=kXmloex-vr8C&pg=PA176&lpg=PA176&dq=Coltart+%26+Dilworth&source=bl&ots=d52VYHnM8A&sig=YvKdZ15d2DMrcxBed1UdSiLafEU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi98Pb79cXMAhXFND4KHa-dAo8Q6AEIKjAC#v=onepage&q=Coltart%20%26%20Dilworth&f=false

Gorman & Co. Brewery
See Kensington Brewery Locations, below.

Hawley & Company Brewery
See Kensington Brewery Locations, below.

Hoeffling Brewery
Hoefling Brewery, George
Wylie St
Operated from 1874 to 1875 (unverified)
The address of 3 Decatur Street was also published (Thurston,
1857, pg. 313). His brother George was also a brewer. Both of them lived near the current Market Square area.

Kaiser Brewery & Distillery
230 Penn Ave
The 1863 Pittsburgh Directory noted the Frederick Kaiser Brewery and distillery.

Kennedy sarsaparilla and beer factory
30 Decatur Street
Thurston noted him in his 1856 Pittsburgh Directory. The term beer factory may have been used to shown that Kennedy was not solely a brewer.

Lemp Brewery
Also known as the William Lemp Brewery
Owner: Lillian J. (b.1877 – d.1960), William Lemp Brewing Company
332 First Avenue
Unknown start date but was operating in 1900 based on the
Pittsburgh Directory.
This brewery was identified as the W. Lemp Brewing Co. in the
Pittsburgh Directory of 1815.
http://www.beerhistory.com/library/holdings/lemp1.shtml

Lemp was listed as a brewery in the 1900
Pittsburgh Directory. However, they were listed by Pennsylvania as a foreign business company in 1895 from St. Louis, Missouri.

Lewis Brewery
Unknown location but may be Front Street
Unknown operating dates
The
Pittsburgh & Allegheny in the Centennial Year, by George H. Thurston listed only Lewis and O’Hara as brewers in Pittsburgh. Although it was know that O’Hara was an owner in a brewery, it could be suggested that Lewis simply worked in a brewery. The 1815 Pittsburgh Directory published the name of George Lewis, brewer at north side of Front St between Wood & Smithfield.

Lloyd & Co.
See Kensington Brewery Locations, below.

Lutz & Walz Brewery
Diamond Alley
Noted in Thurston’s 1857 & 1858 Pittsburgh Directory. Also noted on Diamond Alley was Schenck, below. There was a Diamond Alley in both Pittsburgh and Allegheny.

Directory Entry
The directories made the entries as if they were in Pittsburgh. If an entry was located in a borough or town other than Pittsburgh it was so noted. Entries within Allegheny City were designated with an A. The entry for Lutz & Walz had no such modifier. Thus, I am asserting that the brewery was in Pittsburgh.

Monongahela Brewery
110-112 First Avenue
Monongahela Brewery
110-112 First Avenue
The 1865 Pittsburgh Directory had Homer C. Dravo was a coal merchant and the 1866 directory had Dravo & William Pollock as wine and vinegar manufacturers here. A Pittsburgh Directory of 1867 places Pollock, Kaltenborn & Co., manufacturers of Ale, Beer and Vinegar, at this location trading under the name of Monongahela Brewery.

Thurston’s 1867 Pittsburgh Directory, page 343 had David Fawcett teamed with William Pollock, They owned the Monongahela Brewery at 110 First Street. The directory also had Pollock & Fawcett, Port Perry. Page 490 had Pollock, Kaltenborn & Co listed as Brewers & Malsters and page 343 had Pollock, Kaltenborn & Co as a vinegar manufacturer here. Fawcett was at Oregon in 1866.

Fawcett was at the Oregon Brewery in 1866. William had the Point House saloon at Water & Penn in 1866. Harry Darlington bought the building in 1869.

See: Darlington & Co. Brewery, above.
Kaltenborn, or a family member, was associated with a brewery in Oakland.

Monongahela Brewery
See Kensington Brewery Locations, below.

Oregon Brewery
Placed here for Reference Only – Not in the Regional Count
Penn Street
According to Thurston, Rhodes & Verner established this brewery in 1832.
Piers & Dannels operated the Oregon Brewery in Uptown afterwards. Evidence is showing that Rhodes & Verner were in Uptown and not in Downtown. A correction is to follow. See Oregon Brewery in the Uptown page.

Pittsburgh Brewery (Brown & Verner)
Liberty and Market
Hopkins 1872 Atlas, Plate 22
Unknown operating dates
The building was destroyed by fire in 1827 and rebuilt.
Owned by Brown & Verner
James Verner lived or worked on Liberty between St. Clair (6
th St) & Barker’s Alley. There was no Brown listed in the directory that listed Verner. Brown is however listed in a Carnegie Library document. The brewery was known to be operating around 1816.
See the History of the Point Brewery page in the Special Interest section.

Pittsburgh Brewery (Carson, Darlington & Co.)
Owner: J M Carson & Darlington
Barker Alley at Duquesne Way (now Blvd.)
(
Previously incorrectly noted to be on Penn)
Unknown operating dates
Preceded by Rhodes & Verner
Carson & Harry Darlington rented space in the Joshua Rhodes brewery 1869-1874. They eventually bought the operations but sold the brewery in 1886. The brewery is shown on the 1872 Hopkins Atlas, Plate 22 with J M Carson as owner. The source that notes Carson & Darlington as partners is often repeated but I can’t find an independent source for verification.

The Pittsburgh Directory of 1868 had an advert for the Pittsburgh Brewery under Carson, Darlington & Company. They were makers of Ales and Porters. The ad noted that they were the successors to Joshua Rhodes & Company of Pittsburgh and W W Anderson of Allegheny.

Darlington had a brewery on First Avenue (see below) but sold the company to the Iron City Brewing Company (Frauenheim & Vilsack) in 1862. He rented the property out so his venture into another brewery about eight years later is interesting.

Pittsburgh Brewery (Rhodes & Verner)
Pittsburgh Brewery (J. M. Carson)
Barker Alley at Duquesne Way (now Blvd.)
Joshua Rhodes Pittsburgh Brewery at Duquesne Way & Barker Alley was noted in the 1872 Pittsburgh Directory. See the Rhodes & Verner Partnership in the Verner – Brown Comparative Notes for more on this. Verner sold his interests in 1860 but Rhodes kept the brewery and brew house until he sold to Carson, above.

Unknown operating dates for Carson
As shown on Hopkin’s 1872 Atlas, Plate 22
The atlas showed land ownership to J. M. Carson as the brewery but it was a tobacco factory by 1882. The J. M. Carson, Pittsburgh Brewery is shown at Barker and Duquesne on the 1872 Hopkins Atlas, Plate 22. Shiras’s Brewery is shown on the1830 and 1835
Map of Pittsburgh and its Environs. The 1867 Pittsburgh Directory has an advert for the Pittsburgh Brewery of Carson, Darlington & Co. at this location as brewers, maltsters and hop merchants. They were successors of the Joshua Rhodes & Co., Pittsburgh and W. W. Anderson, Allegheny. I believe Anderson may have been a hop or malt merchant.

Pittsburgh Brewery No. 4
See Kensington Brewery Locations, below.

Begin Point Brewery Entries


Pittsburgh Point Brewery
The Pittsburgh Gazette had an advertisement by George Shiras for the Pittsburgh Point Brewery by James O’Hara. This was the Shiras & Smith Point Brewery until O’Hara bought it in 1803.

Point Brewery (Shiras & Smith)
At the confluence of the Monongahela and Allegheny Rivers: the site of Fort Duquesne, located at the very point of Pittsburgh.
See the History of the Point Brewery page in the Special Interest section.

Peter Shiras and Robert Smith founded the brewery in 1795 – 1802.
The firm Turnbull, Marmie, Holker & Craig owned the land at that time. But Craig was forced out of the firm in 1797 and the company became Turnbull & Company. It was February 1797 when they sold the deed to Shiras and Smith.

Robert Smith sold his interest in the land to Peter Shiras in June 1797.
Shiras is the sole owner of the brewery and the Point.

Peter’s son, George Shiras came to Pittsburgh in 1794 with the New Jersey militia to quell the Whiskey Rebellion. He saw opportunity here and sent for his farter.

Point Brewery (Robert Smith) 1802 – 1805
Peter retires in 1802 and sells the land and brewery back to Smith.
George Shiras is brewery manager.
It is believed that Smith was acting as O’Hara’s agent so that O’Hara could take control of the land and brewery. This may be true but remember that Smith came to Pittsburgh from New Jersey with Peter Shiras.

Point Brewery (O’Hara & Coppinger) 1803
Smith owned the land in 1803 when O’Hara and Coppinger acquire the brewery. Coppinger was an accomplished brewer.

Point Brewery (O’Hara & Coppinger) 1805 – 1819
Smith sells the land to O’Hara in September 1805.
George Shiras leaves the operations.

See the History of the Point Brewery page in the Special Interest section.
Fleming, in
The History of Pittsburgh & Environs, pg. 470, has an entry of O’Hara opening a brewery in 1803. History of Pittsburgh has two breweries in Pittsburgh in 1803 with Coppinger and Gorman opening his in 1809.

Point Brewery (O’Hara) 1814 – 1819
Coppinger leaves in 1814. O’Hara dies in 1819.

Point Brewery (O’Hara) 1819 – 1826
Point Brewery (O’Hara) 1819 – 1826
Operated by George Shiras Jr. on behalf of the O’Hara family. I can find no evidence that George Jr.’s brother, Oliver (b. 1813) was at this brewery.

The brewery at the Point closed in 1826 and moved to Pitt Street although there is some thought that the date was 1834. George Jr. and Peter Shires employed 20 men at the Pitt Street location (at the bank of the Allegheny) in 1937. Harris’ directory for 1837 noted that the brewery moved to Pitt Street but did not give a date.

End of Point Brewery Entries


Point Brewery (George W. Smith)
Pitt Street near Penn St
Established by Shiras in 1826 (unknown end)
Followed by George W Smith (as early as 1850)
George Shiras Jr. (b. 1808) erected this brewery in the summer of 1826 after moving from the Point Brewery at the confluence of the Monongahela and Allegheny Rivers. George Jr.’s brother, Oliver (b. 1813) was at this brewery.

George W. Smith, Point Brewery was listed as being at Pitt north of Duquesne Way (Thurston,
1857, pg. 313). The 1857 Directory of Pittsburgh indicated that Smith was a malster and hop merchant and made celebrated Kennett and East India Pale Ales in wood and glass. George Shiras Jr. established this brewery in 1826. See the History of the Point Brewery page in the Special Interest section.

Fahnestock's 1850 directory has George W Smith & Co. (brewers) at Pitt and Duquesne.

Schenck, G F
Diamond Alley
Thurston’s 1857 & 1858 Pittsburgh directory listed Scheck as a brewer on Diamond Alley. Lutz & Walz were also listed on Diamond Ally, predating their move to Allegheny.

Shiras’s Brewery
Pitt Street
Established about 1926
Followed by Point Brewery
Shiras’s Brewery is located at Pitt St between Penn Street and the Allegheny River on lots 31 & 32. This was Pittsburgh’s Fourth Ward and shown on the Kenyon map of 1835.

The 1837 directory of Pittsburgh lists George Jr. Shiras and O. P. Shiras at the brewery on Pitt Street. See the History of the Point Brewery page in the Special Interest section.

Smith Brewery, George W
Placed here for reference. Please see Point Brewery (George W. Smith), above and History of the Point Brewery. 1845 Fire
Smith lost $1,800 in property loss due to the 1845 fire. He was noted to have been in the Second (South) Ward, which was not the Pitt Street location.

Straub Brewery, John N
Third Street and Market (Market Square)
Straub established a small brewery in 1834 on Third Avenue near Market. A tailor, Jacob Beverly gave Straub start-up money for the brewery as well as making a proposal to him to brew.
Pittsburgh the Powerful and History of Pittsburgh have the date as 1832. Industries of Pittsburgh that gives 1834. History of Pittsburgh has greater detail on Straub than some other works. The Brewers Journal, Volume 31 has him arriving in America in 1830 making the 1834 date reasonable.

The 1837 directory of Pittsburgh lists Straub at this location. The 1841 Harris Directory lists J. & H. Straub at Diamond Alley at Smithfield, which would be their residence. His brewery was small and he delivered his beer using a wheelbarrow.

Tracy and Wilkinson Brewery
Penn & Barker Alley
Unknown operating dates
Followed by Rhodes & Verner Brewing
This brewery is supposed to be here according to published reports on the Rhodes and Verner brewery but they all repeat the same brief statement without additional support. I can find nothing specific on this brewery. An 1839 Pittsburgh directory had Michael Tracy, contractor b Coal Lane, Tunnel & Chatham and Anthony Wilkinson, d h Hand Street.

Union Brewery
Liberty Street near Market
Unknown operating dates
Hamilton Brown & Co.
Brown & Scott (1819)
The Union Brewery was identified in the Pittsburgh Directory of 1815.
The
Standard History of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania by Weston Arthur Goodspeed (1898) noted Brown and Scott in reference to the 1819 date.

The
American Machinist, Volume 26 (1903) had an entry that George Ekhert, president of Union Brewing Co., Pittsburgh, was the head of a group of investors who planned to build a brewery in Clarksburg, W. Va. called the Clarksburg Brewing Co.

Wood Brewery
See Kensington

Yearman Brewery (James)
Fifth Street near Market Street
Thought to be brewing about 1798 “soon after Shiras.
Dahlinger in
Pittsburgh: A Sketch of its Early Social Life, page 158, places Yeaman’s bakery and brewery across Market Street, the second door south of Fifth Street, was James Yearmsn’s brick building (same side as John & Alexander Wills boot and shoe making establishment).
(Note: Yearman was previously spelled Yerman)

Brewery Locations in Kensington


These breweries were on or near Brewery Alley, which was a small street coming off Second Avenue near the present day Allegheny County Jail. This area was know as Kensington. Kensngton was also know as Pipetown, a name taken from William Price’s Clay Smoking Pipe business.

Baird (Thomas) & Son Brewery

Coltart & Silvery Brewery
Brewery Alley, Kensington
Formerly Thomas Baird’s Monongahela Brewery
Known to be here around 1826. Coltart & Silvery acquired Baird’s brewery which then burnt down. They rebuilt it as the Phoenix, but then they went bankrupt in 1833. Adam Woods took the brewery until 1845 but it was destroyed in the Great Pittsburgh Fire of 1845.

Adam Silvery (b. 1798 Germany – d. 1878)
He came to Philadelphia from Germany in 1800 and became a brewer. He left for Pittsburgh after his father died. He brewery was destroyed by fire and he then moved to Washington City, Washington County (before 1844) where he became a clerk. Adam’s son was born in Washington Pa. in 1844.

Gorman & Company Brewery
May also be known as Kensington Brewery
Second Avenue in Kensington
Thomas Baird & Son followed Gorman at this site.
John Gorman built an extensive brewery near Suke’s Run in 1809 on the Monongahela River (Thornton,
History of Pittsburgh, pg. 471). The Standard History of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania by Weston Arthur Goodspeed notes Gorman’s brewery being built and put in operation in 1809.
Suke’s Run was at or near the terminus of the Pennsylvania Cannel (1829-1857) coming from Alleghany City. The brewery may have been named the Kensington Brewery but I have not confirmed that. Also, see Brewery at Brewery Alley. The
History of Pittsburgh, It’s Rise and Progress noted Gorman & Co. Brewery being in existence before Pittsburgh was chartered as a city, which was March 18, 1816.

Fleming, in
The History of Pittsburgh & Environs, pg. 470, has two breweries in Pittsburgh in 1803 and Gorman opening his in 1809.

Kensington Brewery

Monongahela Brewery
Thomas Baird & Son Monongahela Brewery
Along the Monongahela River in operation in 1819
Baird followed Gorman at this site and reportedly named the brewery the Monongahela Brewery.
Became the Coltart & Silvery Brewery
Adjoining it was the Pittsburgh Brewery Number 4 belonging to Varner, Colwell & Co. It was located in Pipetown (Kensington) off Second Avenue at the site of the current Allegheny County Jail. PB No. 4 was being built in 1819 and adjacent to the Thomas Baird & Son Brewery. Both were near Anthony Beelen’s Eagle foundry that was established in 1807. He made kettles for breweries. This was in the
Standard History of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania by Weston Arthur Goodspeed (1898).

Pittsburgh Brewery No. 4
Verner, Colwell & Co.
Believed to be in Pipetown (Kensington) off Second Avenue at the current site of the Allegheny County jail. It was noted to be adjacent to Baird’s brewery, which indicates two breweries in Kensington. The
Standard History of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, by Weston Arthur Goodspeed (1898) noted Brewery No. 4. Known to be operating in 1819.

Wood Brewery
Brewery Alley, Kensington
Wood acquired the Coltart & Silvery brewery on or after 1833 but it was destroyed in the 1845 fire. They moved to Smallman Street in the Strip District but then Spencer bought the brewery in 1859. See Phoenix Brewery in the Strip District. The Woods were to have lost property in the following amount: Abram $225, Joshua $200 and William $450 according to an assessment after the fire.

Kensington Notes


The
Pittsburgh Directory for 1815 published the name of John Gorman, brewer at south side at 2nd and Kensington. The directory listed names and occupations of all persons in Pittsburgh.

Sukes Run at the Monongahela was terminus of the Pennsylvania Canal. This location is in the vicinity of Try Street coming off Second Avenue.

The 1815
Pittsburgh Directory published the name Martin Burns, maltser, at Water St in Pipetown, below Gorman’s Brewery. Pipetown was another name for Kensington.

The
Standard History of Pittsburgh (p259) has the Phoenix Brewery of Kensington operating in 1829 by Coltart & Silvery. The brewery was offered for sale or rent in 1830. On September 1833 it was sole by Sheriff’s Sale. Standard History says: “Washington Brewery was offered for rent” in 1833. As the Washington Brewery was never mentioned as a separate brewery this is obviously in reference to Thomas Baird & Son’s Monongahela Brewery.

The
Standard History of Pittsburgh (p259) has Coltart & Silvery as owners of the Kensington Brewery. The author’s writing suggests they owned both the Kensington as well as the Phoenix.

The
Standard History of Pittsburgh (p204) has John Baird as a porter bottler and Thomas as a weaver.

Non-Brewing Entries


Bohemian Brewing Co.
Not a Brewery – Not in the Regional Count
308 Grant St
This was the General Office. The brewery was to have been on the North Side.
The
Western Brewer: and Journal of the Barley, Malt and Hop Trades (December 1915, page 236) listed an ad for a brewer who should have foreign experience. This ad was also published in the American Brewer’s Review, No.30 (1916), g 30. The Grant Building sits on this land today. The construction of the Grant Building took place from 1927 to 1930.

The company was incorporated on Deceber 31, 1914, effective January 1, 1915: G. A. Beermann, Auguat Schneider, John V. Schisler, Norman Gerlach and Alex Vis.

Garrard Malt House
Water Street
See: Spencer & McKay & Co. Malt House, below.

Malt House – Penn St
M. Weil Malt House
214 Penn Avenue between Barkers Alley & Seventh Street
It is shown on the south side of Penn in Hopkins 1871 Atlas, Plate 22 as well as Hopkins 1882, Plate 1. A property owner is not shown on either plate. The property owner is shown to be James D. Verner in Hopkins 1889, Plate 5. This house was shown on a Sandorn Fire Insurance map, Plate 17, Volume 1, 1884 as the M. Weil Malt House.

This could not be the Point Matl House that Thurston refers to in
Facts & Figures. W. H. Garrard established it in 1856 by at No. 17 Water Street. Water Street was along the Monongahela River whereas Barker was near the Allegheny River.

Spencer & McKay & Co. Malt House
Penn Ave between Fort Alley and Water St (Monongahela River)
Unknown operating dates
Spence & McKay operated a malt house at this location. They bought the land via Sheriff’s sale on July 21, 1871. Garrard was the owner of the malt house and had dealings with Spencer. See: Phoenix Brewery in the Strip District page.