Brewer Streets


August 4, 2015

This is a list of streets in Pittsburgh and Allegheny that were named for or by the brewers. It was not uncommon in the 1800’s to have a street named after the business adjacent to it.

Bauerlein Street Millvale
Parallel to Evergreen Avenue but coming off Elizabeth Street. Girtys Run is between Evergreen and Bauerlein.

Brewers Alley
Located is the area formerly known as Kensington. It ran from Second Avenue to the Monongahela River at a point between Ross Street and the South 10th Street Bridge. John Gorman built an extensive brewery there in the early 1800’s. This is the current site of the Allegheny County Jail.

Gangwisch Street
Located in Bloomfield between Winebiddle and Main as shown in 1882. It sat behind the brewery, which was taken over by the Straub brothers. The street still exists.

Gerst Alley
Philip Gerst was an Allegheny brewery and a small street had his name. It ran parallel between Madison and East Street and from First Street to North Avenue.

Gerst Way
The General Assembly of the Commonwealth designated Gerst Way, a walkway, which crosses Interstate 279 by Act 65 of 1999. Gerst Way is a pedestrian walkway carried by a bridge over I-279 connecting East Street and Howard Street.

Hechelmann
Hechelmann had a brewery on Vinial Street and a residence on Lowrie Street at Ravine, each in Allegheny, which is now Pittsburgh’s North Side. The United German Savings Protestant Cemetery abutted his eastern property line abut the street bearing his name is abuts the eastern line of the cemetery. There was no Hechelmann Street during Hechelmann’s time as the land was owned by Reineman. We know Ravine Street today as Rialto Street.

Hippely Street
Hippely Street was behind the Brewery on the North Side, and between Hazel & Spring Garden. It was parallel to Spring Garden. Pittsburgh Brewing Co. bought the brewery and the street has now been vacated.

Hoeveler Court
Located in East Liberty and noted in the Pittsburgh Directory of 1860.

Hoeveler Street
Located in East Liberty between S. Highland Avenue and Sheridan Street. It was near the current Home Depot store. The street was most likely named after a relative, C. Hoeveler.

Itin Streeet
Itin Street is located on the North Side, which was Allegheny City.
Henrietta Itin married Theodore F. Straub, son of brewer John N. Straub.

Lager Street
Near the Hippely Brewery located on the North Side.

Lauer Street Steps
A set of steps lay between Windom Street and Arlington Avenue on the South Side. J. Leuer’s Brewery was adjacent to this passage in 1872 as shown on the 1872 Hopkins Atlas, Plate 104. Although the brewer’s name was spelled Leuer this could be an error on the person writing in one of the documents identifying the brewery or step.

Lutz
This street was between Compromise and Howard Streets at the foot of Spring Avenue. The street was located west of Interstate 279 and is now overgrown.
Lutz Note: Lutz was more than a brewery as the company was engaged in the manufacturing of pickles and preserves. They had plants throughout the area.

Nusser Street
This dead end street comes off Brosville Street on the South Side. At one time it led into the Nusser Brewery at the South 12th Street at Breed Street.

O’Hara Street
Now located in Oakland this street appeared in the Strip District and in Allegheny City. Named after Pittsburgh industrialist and brewer (albeit, a smaller one) from the early 1800’s.

Shiras

Spencer Street
Named after Pittsburgh brewer James Spencer, owner of the Phoenix Brewery in the Strip District. Spencer comes off Lincoln Avenue towards Wilkinsburg. Today it is Apple Street. See: Hopkins 1890, Plates 19 & 20. The Spencer family had property on each side of the street.

Straubs Lane
Theodore Straub owned land along this street in Troy Hill bearing his name. Straub Lane was parallel to Lowery Street, which intersected with Sassafras Street. Theodore was related to John N. and not Peter Straub who founded the brewery in St. Mary’s. Sassafras is now Sundeman Street and Straubs Lane remains as is.

Verner Street
Named after James K Verner, who owned land in the Ninth Ward of Allegheny City. The Pittsburgh Forge and Iron Company sat on this land in the 1870’s but was started by Verner in Pittsburgh at 10
th & Penn. Verner Street is off Ohio River Blvd. near the McKees Rocks Bridge. http://books.google.com/books?id=4IDdaF-3HBsC&pg=PA273&lpg=PA273&dq=James+K+Verner+Pittsburgh&source=bl&ots=4HX_tcGTT1&sig=qM5LkPcZWzA6NSg8_wDOYiPi6Hs&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ONKLU7inDIrksATkz4HYAw&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAjgK#v=onepage&q=James%20K%20Verner%20Pittsburgh&f=false

Vilsack Street
Vilsack Avenue (now Street) in Morningside was named after Leopold Vilsack as he built 15 new homes there in 1906.

The Vilsacks were from Sharpsburg and this street is in neighboring Etna. I am not sure if it was named for Leopold of Pittsburgh Brewing Company or another family member.

Waltz Street
Waltz was in partnership with Lutz operating the Allegheny Brewery on Chestnut Street. Waltz Street is located on the North Side coming into Homer Street above Spring Garden Avenue. Lutz & Waltz owned a good deal of land in the area.

Wainwright Island
This island was once in the Allegheny River in near 46th Street in Lawrenceville. The Wainwright family owned it but the river eventually washed it away. It was also know as Mc Cullough’s Island and believed to be the island that George Washington was stranded on.

Wainwright Street
Located in Lawrenceville near Wainwright’s Winterton brewery at the bank of the Allegheny River. It is known today as 36th Street. The street was shown on maps in the late 1800’s.