Hippely Comparative Notes


August 2, 2013

314 Spring Garden Ave
Allegheny City

Gerst Family
Lafayette Brewery

Phillip Gerst (b. 1847)
The Lafayette Brewery is shown on the Hopkins 1872 Atlas, Plate 92. Thurston’s
Pittsburgh Directory of 1860 places Gerst & Co. Brewery at Spring Garden, Seventh Ward. The 1882 Atlas, Plate 32 has the brewery placed but unidentified.

George Gerst Jr. (1840 – August 8, 1861)
George Gerst, who worked at the brewery, also had a tavern on Second Street at East Lane (now Madison). As he joined the army in 1861 is presumed that the brewery was operating prior to this time.

George Gerst Jr. joined the Union Army after the attack on Fort Sumter (April 12-14, 1861). He was 20 years old but died of fever on August 8, 1861 before his 21
st birthday. This was noted in the archives of his Church. However, the 11th Brewer’s Convention (1890) had a George Gerst from Philadelphia and Pittsburg.

Jean George & Anna M. were the parents of George Jr., Phillip and three daughters. They applied for a pension from the state in 1882 as they were in advanced age and destitute at the time. Pittsburgh Directories may not have listed his first name.

The 1856
Pittsburgh Directory (Allegheny Business Directory) does not show a brewery but had George Gerst as an inn keeper on East Lane. Philip would have been too young but George Jr. would have been 16. The inn could have been owned by George Sr.

Mueller

1881
John M. Mueller, father of John H., held a lease on the property for five years beginning on May 1, 1881. He then sub-let the building to his son for brewing. This was extremely short lived as John H. operated the brewery for only 13 months. A court case between father and son resulted in the closure and disposal of property, thus ending the brewing.

1879 – 1883
Musson has an undated advert from Mueller that he places to 1882. The ad refers to John M. Mueller, Brewer & Maltser.
It appears that the owner of the brewery was John M., but his son, John H., conducted the general operations. See the court case, below.

John M. and J. W. Mueller (collector) were listed on the advert, as well as J. Kunzman (agent) but John H. was not listed.

Mueller has a beer depot on Fifth Avenue and Gist Street in the Hill District, as mentioned on the advert.

1881 May 1: Court case
Mueller retired from the brewing business and so the property went to Hippely.
John M. Mueller (defendant), father of plaintiff, held a lease on the property for five years beginning on May 1, 1881

John M. Mueller (father) defendant along with Schmidt
John H. Mueller (son) plaintiff

Mueller v. Schmidt & Mueller,
Pittsburgh Legal Journal entry
Plaintiff v. Defendants

The property relative to the court case “consisted of utensils and vessels which go to makeup the equipment and furnishment of a brewery”. This is the property.

John M. Mueller (defendant), father of plaintiff, held a lease on the property for five years beginning on May 1, 1881. As leaseholder, he was the tenant.

John M. granted to plaintiff (his son) John H., a sub-lease to operate the brewery.
John H. operated the brewery for about 13 months.
I do not know the terms of the sub-lease.

After the first 8 months (December 1881) of operating, the father (defendant) purchased the land at a sheriff’s sale. The plaintiff still had a lease from his father.

John M. Mueller was to have taken over the Gerst property from a Sheriff’s sale. The court case was a result of this ownership after the case he could have sold the property to Hippely. Schmidt needs to be identified.

In June 1882, the plaintiff (the son) offered the property (the brewing equipment) for public sale. John H. was preparing to retire from brewing prior to his lease expiring. He still had a lease with his father.

The defendant (father) John M. sued out of writ of estrepment and such retained the property.

The son (plaintiff) issued a writ of replevin (an action to recover property wrongfully taken).

One of the issues concerning the property was that some of it was in the brewery when the father obtained the lease. His son purchased additional property at his own expense but the court was not provided with an itemized list of ownership.

At the January 1883 trial, the plaintiff (son) prevailed. The father (defendant) obtained a new trial that the court erred in charging the defendant’s charge of fraud was the main allegation in the case. The next trial was September 24, 1883 was for the plaintiff as he had the right to remove his property.

Venire facias de noto awarded, judgment reversed

Hippely

Frank Hopf (b. 1841) came to America in 1843. Originally a blacksmith, he started brewing but that ended in 1885 when he moved to New Kensington.

1882
Hippely & Hopf was here based on this date based in the Hopkins atlas. Based on the production time it would have taken to produce the atlas I have to think that the brewery under Hippely & Hopf would have pre-dated 1882.

1885
Hopf leaves the brewing profession and moves to New Kensington.

1890
Hippely & Hopf removed their gas lamps and replaced them with a 100 lamp electric plant. Reference: Western Electrician, Volumes 6-7.

Hopkins 1890 Atlas, Plate 12 shows Hippely & Hopf North Side Brewery. This would be correct, as the name change would have occurred when the atlas was in production. By the time the next atlas came out the brewery belonged to Pittsburgh Brewing Company.

1890 Court Case
Hippely & Sons v. Broworsky
This trial in Common Pleas Court was noted in the
Pittsburgh Dispatch on May 25, 1890.

1893
Edward Tyson Hopf began brewing for Eberhardt & Ober.
Edward T. Hopf (b. January21, 1877), son of Frank Hopf, was bremaster for the Independent Brewing Company plant at New Kensington, Westmoreland County.
Edward began brewing in 1893 (age 16) for Eberhardt & Ober. After three years he went to the Savannah Brewing Co. in Georgia until 1898. He returned to Pittsburgh in 1899.

1898
Hippely & Son formed in 1898 and continued until the Pittsburgh Brewing merger in 1899. Bottles have been photographed and made public bearing the name Hipely & Son Brewers, Allegheny, Pa.


Pittsburgh Brewing Company

1899 – 1920
North Side Brewery: Pittsburgh Brewing Co.
Hopkins 1901 (1907) Atlas, Plate 22 (28) shows the North Side Brewery of Pittsburgh Brewing Company.

Bohemian Brewing

Bohemian Brewing incorporated in 1915 and planed to build a new brewery on the site of the Lappe tannery, as reported in the Brewers' Journal and Barley, Malt and Hops Trades' Reporter. Volume 40 of July 1, 1916. Hopkins Atlas 1907, Plate 28 shows the North Side Brewery of Pittsburgh Brewing Company.

Hopkins Maps

Hopkins 1872 Atlas, Plate 92 shows P. Gerst Lafayette Brewery
Hopkins 1882 Atlas, Plate 32 shows an un-named brewery.
Hopkins 1890 Atlas, Plate 12 shows Hippely & Hopf North Side Brewery.
Hopkins 1901 Atlas, Plate 22 shows the North Side Brewery of Pittsburgh Brewing Company.
Hopkins 1907 Atlas, Plate 28 shows the North Side Brewery of Pittsburgh Brewing Company.